Armster

Marner

One thing the leafs have he ability to do that a lot of teams don’t, is to structure a pile of contracts the same way that they did JT’s. A bunch of money up front, which if you have a good financial advisor, and all of these guys do, turns into more money than you’d ever make if you took it as straight salary. 

Matthews might end up being a different story, but I think marner comes in under what we all expect. And that’s probably why he’s perfectly comfortable leaving the discussion until the offseason, because he doesn’t foresee an issues at all. I’m pretty confident that it gets done for 8x8.5. But even if it pushes up towards 9-9.5 I think it still gets done easily. He’s a different player than Nylander is, he drives whatever line he’s on, even when he’s out there with superstars. Nylander is more of a complimentary player. 

More and more more I can’t see willy signing. And that probably only means locking up Matthews and marner will be easier.

Marner vs. Matthews.  

They're BOTH pretty incredible and might deliver 90+ points each by end of year. 

I wonder how close their salaries actually will be to each other.  One scores a helluva lot more goals, and one gets way more assists.  Both are good defensively.  

Closer than we all used to think.

1 minute ago, Armster said:

Marleau's hopefully going back to San Jose to re play his last season.  The bonus structure of his contract makes him a very cheap option after July 1.

He has a full NMC clause tho.  You think he'll want to uproot again, to go back?

1 minute ago, Armster said:

Marleau's hopefully going back to San Jose to re play his last season.  The bonus structure of his contract makes him a very cheap option after July 1.

Not sure why quite a few people think this... It's not like San Jose has a boatload of cap space... They also have to worry about re-signing Pavelski, Thornton, Meier and Karlsson. Sure Marleau doesn't actually get paid much in his final year, but his cap hit is still 6 million which is a lot for any team trying to contend.

6 minutes ago, §andman said:

At this point next season, how this team can afford to keep Nylander (or whoever he gets traded for) + Gardiner + Marleau and the new contracts for Marner/Matthews/Kapanen is beyond me. 

We should let Gardiner walk and Hainsey will come off the books too.  Then we'll have enough space easily.  

But we'd have to bring up at least one D-Man from the Marlies and go with a D-corps that looks like this.......

Rielly - Ozighanov

Dermott - Zaitsev

Borgman - Liljegren

Rosen

If we think those guys can handle it, we can fit Nylander in.

10 minutes ago, Matthews34 said:

Not sure why quite a few people think this... It's not like San Jose has a boatload of cap space... They also have to worry about re-signing Pavelski, Thornton, Meier and Karlsson. Sure Marleau doesn't actually get paid much in his final year, but his cap hit is still 6 million which is a lot for any team trying to contend.

It's just an option and an option for many teams. The Leafs structured the contract in this way, for this reason no doubt.  If they have a chance to move him, they will.   Brushing off the actual cash due to him/cap hit is hilariously funny.  That's a big deal to a lot of teams, especially floor/budget teams.

As for why San Jose specifically?  Well, sometimes players go to their previous lifelong teams to play their final year.  I'm sure the Sharks could make it work if it becomes an option. The Sharks aren't a budget team so they can spend to the cap if they want. That's why many people might think "this".  Because it's a thing.  That happens.  

He has a NTC not a NMC.  Big difference.

17 minutes ago, Armster said:

It's just an option and an option for many teams. The Leafs structured the contract in this way, for this reason no doubt.  If they have a chance to move him, they will.   Brushing off the actual cash due to him/cap hit is hilariously funny.  That's a big deal to a lot of teams, especially floor/budget teams.

As for why San Jose specifically?  Well, sometimes players go to their previous lifelong teams to play their final year.  I'm sure the Sharks could make it work if it becomes an option. The Sharks aren't a budget team so they can spend to the cap if they want. That's why many people might think "this".  Because it's a thing.  That happens.  

He has a NTC not a NMC.  Big difference.

Marleau actually has a NMC and there's no way he's waiving it to join a non-contender. It's between Toronto and San Jose I agree, but San Jose isn't going to take him back when it will put them in a similar situation if not worse when they have a bunch of UFA's to re-sign while we have a bunch of RFA's to re-sign.

Not to mention, he only left San Jose because he felt that he has a better opportunity to win a Stanley Cup within these 3 years over San Jose. I don't think he's going to waive his NMC to go anywhere. I can see him however going back to San Jose on a cheap 1 year deal after his contract with Toronto expires.

Actually, the only scenario I see that helps the leafs is Marleau retiring, and the leafs shipping his contract, and a pick/prospect to a floor team that gets a $6.25m cap hit, for just $1.25m in real dollars (after 7-1, of course).  

I don't know if the Leafs have a hidden handshake agreement that Marleau is/was going to be traded (and he'll retire) in his final season hence why they structured that contract in such a specific way but a lot will be riding on whether we can get Marleau's contract off the hook next year. 

If they don't win a cup this year, hard to see Marleau wanting to retire given how competitive the team is most likely going to be again next year. 

Marleau could be easily filtered through another team for the purposes of eating cap dollars in exchange for picks or prospects. His personality makes him very easy to deal even if it’s not back to San Jose. But if we end up keeping him for one more year, it doesn’t make things impossible to keep together... it just means we have to wait a minute to spend money on D

1 hour ago, Doc J said:

Actually, the only scenario I see that helps the leafs is Marleau retiring, and the leafs shipping his contract, and a pick/prospect to a floor team that gets a $6.25m cap hit, for just $1.25m in real dollars (after 7-1, of course).  

More or less what i was getting at.  However, there's no doubt 1.25m actual obligation to Marleau is attractive to any team as he provides much more value than that.  I thought it was full NTC.  I guess his agent has seen Lou's work before with under producing vets and smartly got that clause thrown in.

19 minutes ago, Armster said:

More or less what i was getting at.  However, there's no doubt 1.25m actual obligation to Marleau is attractive to any team as he provides much more value than that.  I thought it was full NTC.  I guess his agent has seen Lou's work before with under producing vets and smartly got that clause thrown in.

Yeah.  I think the larger point you made was how the deal was smartly constructed to make it attractive to other (floor) teams in its final year.  Not having a NMC would’ve obviously been great, but not remotely realistic for a UFA of that caliber.  

I’ve been of the opinion since he signed that the 3rd year is simply a payday, and the plan from the jump is get the bonus, hang em up, and the leafs pass on the deal to ARZ, FLA, VGS, OTT, etc.   Guess we’ll see.

I really hope had a agreement with Marleau for that third season. 

If he is playing at a high level this season the leafs bring him back for the final year of his contract. If his play drops off from a production and analytics prospective he will agree to a trade to a warm weather team who wants the low cost contract for the final year.