Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Marner

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Doc J said:

Not every guy has to be “forced out” of the game.  Marleau seems like that kinda guy, IMO.  

 

If he hangs em up next offseason, it’ll be because that was his plan/timetable all along.  

Personally, I doubt he'll just give up all those millions for next season.  Plus I believe he's a real competitor and will only stop when he can't keep up.  I think he's keeping up just fine this year.

I'm betting we will see him play out his contract here.  We can't trade him without his consent, and he's been great here and is a great mentor to the kids.  I'd be happy to see him end his career here.  Maybe the team could keep him on after that in some other capacity.

Gardiner and Hainsey will both walk, I think.  We won't trade them heading into playoffs, and we won't pay them more money to come back.  So we'll be fine with finances.  But we'll take a small step back with our D-corps, bringing some very young guys up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

Personally, I doubt he'll just give up all those millions for next season.  Plus I believe he's a real competitor and will only stop when he can't keep up.  I think he's keeping up just fine this year.

I'm betting we will see him play out his contract here.  We can't trade him without his consent, and he's been great here and is a great mentor to the kids.  I'd be happy to see him end his career here.  Maybe the team could keep him on after that in some other capacity.

Gardiner and Hainsey will both walk, I think.  We won't trade them heading into playoffs, and we won't pay them more money to come back.  So we'll be fine with finances.  But we'll take a small step back with our D-corps, bringing some very young guys up.

That's why he signed a front end loaded contract with only $1.5 million remaining for next season.

 

Now I don't think he would like to leave $1.5mm on the table, but Babcock (not Dubas) might have to have a word with him if his play continues to slip, along the lines of...."Patty, you have had a great career and we love you and we are going to offer you the choice of sitting in the press box in Toronto this season, or accepting a trade to a cap floor team who loves your contract...completely your choice".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, Timmy L is the guy destined to take over Gards role. I'm not sure if he's ready for next season but I assume that's the plan. 

Hainsey leaves another void and we still desperately need a top 4. Maybe that's who Nylander fetches otherwise we won't have much cap to work with in the FA market. 

Those Marleau dollars will be big next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holymakinaw said:

Personally, I doubt he'll just give up all those millions for next season.  Plus I believe he's a real competitor and will only stop when he can't keep up.  I think he's keeping up just fine this year.

I'm betting we will see him play out his contract here.  We can't trade him without his consent, and he's been great here and is a great mentor to the kids.  I'd be happy to see him end his career here.  Maybe the team could keep him on after that in some other capacity.

Gardiner and Hainsey will both walk, I think.  We won't trade them heading into playoffs, and we won't pay them more money to come back.  So we'll be fine with finances.  But we'll take a small step back with our D-corps, bringing some very young guys up.

He won’t be.  

On july 1 he collects $3m, and will have pocketed $17.5m of his $18.75m contract, and only stands to make $1.25m over the 82 game schedule.  

Edited by Doc J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doc J said:

He won’t be.  

On july 1 he collects $3m, and will have pocketed $17.5m of his $18.75m contract, and only stands to make $1.25m over the 82 game schedule.  

Okay.  It's 1.25 million dollars.  So he walks away from that & retires because the team wants him to?  I doubt that very much.

He might agree to a trade if they tell him they don't want him any more, but I can't see him just giving away 1.25 million bucks.  

Or he'll just play one more year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, uteck said:

it's basically........... sit in the press box or accept a trade...which is something......bigly something

I don't think you can give that ultimatum to a player of Marleau's pedigree. 

It was either a handshake agreement before the contract or he's staying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, sometimes players sign contracts to play out their respective contract.

I believe that Marleau signed for the term to be part of it, and our organization made way for him knowing those numbers.

yes, JT steps in and kinda throws the numbers out of wack a bit, but as Sandman said, in a sense, the feelings between both parties respected each other enough to do the deal and stay respectful. 

If JT slowed down in his last year, do we send him to the press box? (stay tuned I guess)

I feel we will honor Patricks contract and he will be with us on the ice until his contract runs dry.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was Lou that was the GM at the time.  Lou has the ability to separate emotion from business. He put Mogilny in the minors ffs.

No doubt in my mind Marleau's contract was structured that way for a reason.  Things may be different with Dubas and yeah the NMC certainly throws a wrench into things but if they need Marleau gone, it will be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, §andman said:

I don't think you can give that ultimatum to a player of Marleau's pedigree. 

It was either a handshake agreement before the contract or he's staying. 

Of course you can. 

Why would you even suggest that you couldn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Holymakinaw said:

Okay.  It's 1.25 million dollars.  So he walks away from that & retires because the team wants him to?  I doubt that very much.

He might agree to a trade if they tell him they don't want him any more, but I can't see him just giving away 1.25 million bucks.  

Or he'll just play one more year.

Sigh.

Once more, with feeling, if he retires, he’ll be doing so because he wants to, and planned to do so when he signed a deal that sees him get $17.5m of the $18.75m without playing the third year.  

 

If that does happen, he won’t give two shits which floor team takes his deal, as he’ll be retired, and will have already pocketed 93% of the money in said deal.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Caligulove said:

It's a 35+ contract, though. Doesn't that mean there's still the cap hit if he were to retire this summer?

 A multi-year 35+ contract will count against the teams cap regardless if they are playing in the NHL, AHL, retired, or working in the NHL's front office unless LTIR is used. 

Edited by Morrison7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Caligulove said:

Does it still count against the cap if he goes to Robidas Island? 😁

 

Not that they should do that to Marleau. Just asking. lol

Hey Robidas is now working within the organization so if Marleau plays his cards right he might get something within the organization afterwards for his commitment haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but then his team would get relief if they spend to the cap (well over.)

He's not hurt though. Robidas was. Lupul was. Pronger was. Bolland was.

Datsyuk wasn't, but he fucked off to play in Russia and just held off on saying the word retirement. They suspended him, didn't have to pay him, but took the cap hit (the Coyotes.)

Marleau needs to stay with us until July 2 to get his bonus paid by us, then get traded away, then retire in another city before the season starts (in which case I still don't know that 1) we don't get the cap hit anyway and 2) he keeps the bonus.)

Could his plan have been to just not report in year three and then agree to any trade we want? Sure, but why? It seems convoluted. It's more likely that he wanted a three year deal, intends to play three years, wanted to make sure he controlled where he finished his career and front loaded like everyone does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matthews34 said:

Hey Robidas is now working within the organization so if Marleau plays his cards right he might get something within the organization afterwards for his commitment haha

This is what I was thinking with the way his contract was negotiated, Lou probably wanted to go in a direction like that, since Marleau gets along well with the young players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doc J said:

Sigh.

Once more, with feeling, if he retires, he’ll be doing so because he wants to, and planned to do so when he signed a deal that sees him get $17.5m of the $18.75m without playing the third year.  

 

If that does happen, he won’t give two shits which floor team takes his deal, as he’ll be retired, and will have already pocketed 93% of the money in said deal.  

 

 

"Sigh"...LOL.  What is your problem?  

You're mad because I think your idea that he'll just walk away from over a million bucks is a dumb comment?  Well, sorry.  But it is.

If he gets 8 points all year this year, he might want to retire.  But there is nothing to indicate that he'll do that.  He's still fast, is still scoring goals, is still on the top line.  Why would he suddenly retire and give up money?  

He wouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×