Armster

Marner

Nylander is going to be traded though, was what i have been thinking all along, but after these comments i’m not so sure.

if what was said was true and not brought out of context, and marner is a ‘gud pro’ he should have fired his agent right away. 

I’d take the 4 first round picks and then get a Doughty/Karlsson guy like mantis suggested and give him the $$.

You can't say you're going to keep the core together and then lowball Marner and then turn around and offer Panarin or Karlsson or Doughty even more. Well I guess he could, but it wouldn't look very good on him. Marner has arguably been our best player this year, he ain't going nowhere. He's a Leaf 4 Lyfe! -Babs

Edited by nodoubtabouter

1 hour ago, Kulemin said:

Here is something I haven't' heard anyone else mention.

Marner will make over 10.16 mill on his next contract, and here is why.

$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick
  $10,148,303 and above Four first-round picks

We would match any offer sheet under 10.15 and everyone knows this. It's not worth it to lose Marner for 2 first a 2nd and third. So that leaves teams with the inclination to offer sheet Marner to throw 10.15 and above at him. If Marner's agent is worth his money he will tell Marner that the lowest they will go is 10.15 because the Leafs will eventually be forced to that price anyways.

If the Leafs sign Marner to anything under 10.15 it's because Marner took a discount and wanted to stay.

The compensation is determined by the total value divided by 5 though, just FYI. 

I think we all realized we'd be in a cap crunch but I don't think anyone expected it to this magnitude. Part of it is because Marner has had a solid season and another part is this shifting landscape of contracts with young RFA's. We can't really evaluate until we see what a few other key RFA's get.

Where's Danny and his whole idea that Marner and Matthews will sign for less because they'll be heroes for winning in Toronto? 😂

2 hours ago, Kulemin said:

Here is something I haven't' heard anyone else mention.

Marner will make over 10.16 mill on his next contract, and here is why.

$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick
  $10,148,303 and above Four first-round picks

We would match any offer sheet under 10.15 and everyone knows this. It's not worth it to lose Marner for 2 first a 2nd and third. So that leaves teams with the inclination to offer sheet Marner to throw 10.15 and above at him. If Marner's agent is worth his money he will tell Marner that the lowest they will go is 10.15 because the Leafs will eventually be forced to that price anyways.

If the Leafs sign Marner to anything under 10.15 it's because Marner took a discount and wanted to stay.

If you don’t understand his offer sheets work, don’t bring them up. Compensation is based on total value divided by 5. So it would have to be 5x10.148302, if it goes to 6 years, compensation is 4 first rounders at $8.456919 at... and at 7 years it’s 7.247359... now, ask yourself, who is giving up 4 first round picks to have a player for 4 years?

I'm sure a deal will be done by July 1st. I'm more worried that another GM will give Kapanen an offer sheet because we all know we'd match any offer for Marner that another GM would pay him but we wouldn't be able to match a Kapanen offer sheet that sees him getting 5-6 million.

5 minutes ago, Matthews34 said:

I'm sure a deal will be done by July 1st. I'm more worried that another GM will give Kapanen an offer sheet because we all know we'd match any offer for Marner that another GM would pay him but we wouldn't be able to match a Kapanen offer sheet that sees him getting 5-6 million.

I mean... that’d be pretty hilarious if a team wants to set that kind of precedent on their roster... and I think we should take their picks cause it’ll probably be a lottery pick 

8 minutes ago, Matthews34 said:

Offer sheet Kappy? Where can i sign for that being the biggest ‘issue’ we’ll have to deal with?

Dubas's problem is the Order he signed the 3 stars.

Giving Nylander $7 million for that shitshow is horrific....but giving Matthews $11.5 million and then having Marner outplay him for long stretches of the season, is going to really challenge Dubas's warm and kind personality to get Marner signed under $12 million....especially if the dad starts acting all loonie toons.

Just now, uteck said:

Dubas's problem is the Order he signed the 3 stars.

Giving Nylander $7 million for that shitshow is horrific....but giving Matthews $11.5 million and then having Marner outplay him for long stretches of the season, is going to really challenge Dubas's warm and kind personality to get Marner signed under $12 million....especially if the dad starts acting all loonie toons.

Nah, it'll all happen and life will go on just fine.

What a nice problem to have eh! kid is out doing everything that anyone has ever predicted but..............what if he signs for league max for 8 years and flops in 3 yrs? I can't imagine that his numbers will still be the same or better going forward even Gilmour didn't replicate his over 100 pt season.