Sign in to follow this  
Vanselena

Leafs and Sabres are both stacked

Buffalo has some great pieces for sure.  Eichel is a point-per-game guy and Dahlin looks good.

But is Eichel REALLY the kind of guy to lead a team to a cup?  He seems like a locker room Cunt to me.  Hutton is over-achieving big-time.  And Skinner is a good one, but will be injured again very soon.  I think Buffalo SHOULD be a bottom feeder this year but instead are surprising everyone including themselves.  They'll come back down to earth soon, I bet.

8 minutes ago, uteck said:

I somewhat agree with the OP with the caveat that “ unless management fucks it up again” Buffalo is well stocked for the future. 

Like by giving Jeff Skinner $9mil? They were talking about that yesterday... and all I can think of was, if Jeff skinner is their Mitch Marner... they’re not in anything close to as good a position as were in. 

No matter where you look on that team they're a very clear step below the Leafs everywhere other than defence, and I mean every single line on the depth chart from top to bottom.

They can't match up with the actual top teams at all right now. In the future maybe, but I don't see why anyone would be confident that their management has suddenly figured out how to manage going forward.

1 hour ago, TieClark said:

No matter where you look on that team they're a very clear step below the Leafs everywhere other than defence, and I mean every single line on the depth chart from top to bottom.

They can't match up with the actual top teams at all right now. In the future maybe, but I don't see why anyone would be confident that their management has suddenly figured out how to manage going forward.

A lot depends on the development of middlestat and dahlin. But even still they don’t have anyone near as good as Matthews and tavares.

Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen is with the wolves right now though, and I’ll tell you this much... the kid is a serious prospect. He’s big and agile and his positioning is solid. He’s probably still two or three years away, but goaltending may not be an issue for them for long.

Sabres will regress when the winning streak is over. I'm also not a huge fan of giving away points on overtime losses, but let's not go down that rabbit hole. Primary vs secondary assists... primary vs secondary points. 

Ahem... Leafs are the only team in the league without any secondary points so far btw. We either win or lose. No fluff yet.

Edited by CognitiveBias

20 hours ago, CognitiveBias said:

Sabres will regress when the winning streak is over. I'm also not a huge fan of giving away points on overtime losses, but let's not go down that rabbit hole. Primary vs secondary assists... primary vs secondary points. 

Ahem... Leafs are the only team in the league without any secondary points so far btw. We either win or lose. No fluff yet.

The Leafs have won in overtime, just no losses. I look forward to the Leafs/ Sabres game on the 4th as both teams should be at full strength.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:39 PM, Morrison7 said:

6 out of the 9 wins during their streak have been in overtime/shootout. 

Maybe they’re not actually that good?

Overtime is when the better teams shine! They don’t buckle under pressure, in fact they are the ones applying the pressure.

1 minute ago, Vanselena said:

Overtime is when the better teams shine! They don’t buckle under pressure, in fact they are the ones applying the pressure.

Most of the better teams don't go to overtime as often because they're good enough to close it out in regulation...

14 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Most of the better teams don't go to overtime as often because they're good enough to close it out in regulation...

Agreed but young teams often do especially when the team is still gelling. Two years ago the same thing happened to the leafs. Guaranteed in 2 years Buffalo will be where Toronto is now. I still stand by my original statement that for the next decade these two teams will battle for the cup.

I’m just making this up according to observation and memory.... most games that go to overtime, do so because a team ties it up late in the third. If it’s happening over and over I would guess they’re either resilient as fuck, or they blow leads like uteck blows.... nm

6 minutes ago, loxcane said:

I’m just making this up according to observation and memory.... most games that go to overtime, do so because a team ties it up late in the third. If it’s happening over and over I would guess they’re either resilient as fuck, or they blow leads like uteck blows.... nm

Blow me

On 11/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, Armster said:

We have our issues they have theirs.   This prediction is a little over zealous especially considering this is Buffalo's first legitimate streak in how many years.

This. Buffalo might be on a hot streak right now, but what remains to be seen is whether that team can remain competitive on a consistent basis year-in year-out.

That's not the only thing to remember when talking about the cup, because when it comes to championships in the world of sports, Buffalo has always lived up to its moniker of being the "City of mediocrity". Nonetheless, it'll be interesting to see if the Sabres can set the tone to be the team that defies that moniker.

1 hour ago, loxcane said:

They blew a 2-1 lead in the third period their last two games alone.