Sign in to follow this  
Bojack

LeBrun - CAR interested in Kapanen

It's in a weird little video on the TSN site and I don't know how to link it, but he said it. 

Kapanen for Slavin, kthxbai.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Marleau - Kadri - Brown

Lindholm - Gauthier - Ennis

Reilly - Slavin

Gardiner - Zaitsev

Dermott - Ozhiganov

*sploosh*

Edited by Bojack

I’d really hate to see Kapanen go. The team needs much more of what he brings to the table not less... but if the interest is significant, and it looks like he’s going to want more money than we can budget for him, might as well see what’s out there.

My thoughts are if we're getting a defender in this scenario, that defender needs to be clearly a better defender than Kapanen is a forward because that motherfucker plays in all situations well and that's, IMO, the type of forward we don't want to lose!

5 minutes ago, majingir said:

Something I'm surprised we don't often hear in rumors is Leafs packaging their 1st rounder in any deal for a dman. Sure, teams know it'll be a late 1st, but it's still a 1st.

If Canes actually deal Slavin, I would give up one of Liljegren/Sandin + 2019 1st + more to get him.

Okay.  But why would Carolina give up one of the very best young defencemen in the game, who is only 24 years old?

They're nott giving up on the season and rebuilding, from what I can see.  They're just looking for scoring, no?

Their owner, who meddles IIRC, just said he doesn't value defence and wants offence. A "sniper". 

That doesn't directly mean Slavin is available, but it means he might be and it means he might be being undervalued presently by somebody who is over-valuing offence.

And like Lox alludes to, the Kapanen name has pull in the Carolinas. 

18 hours ago, Armster said:

My thoughts are if we're getting a defender in this scenario, that defender needs to be clearly a better defender than Kapanen is a forward because that motherfucker plays in all situations well and that's, IMO, the type of forward we don't want to lose!

Here here.

Like I said in last nights GDT, if we are a speed team, we want Kapanen to be on our team. He blows by most and even gets to the corners and as you stated plays in all situations. To be honest, I would rather give up on Nylander to fetch us an almighty D man rather than Kappy. I also think it would be better for us in the long run considering the cap and knowing what Nylander gets paid to what Kapanen will get. 

I really would rather target Parayko with Nylander and stay away from Carolinas D men for any deal involving Kapanen.

I know Nylander has had a bad start and eventually he will become the player (talent wise that he should be) but right now, Ny becomes the expendable one and fwiw, who cares at this junction if Dubas goes back on his word that Nylander is around as long as he is the GM. Our GM has eyes and must know that Kapanen has really improved, gained confidence and could probably do just as well on Matthews line as Nylander could, or...it is really close in my books considering what areas Kapanen does for us.

6 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Their owner, who meddles IIRC, just said he doesn't value defence and wants offence. A "sniper". 

That doesn't directly mean Slavin is available, but it means he might be and it means he might be being undervalued presently by somebody who is over-valuing offence.

And like Lox alludes to, the Kapanen name has pull in the Carolinas. 

Not for someone as good as Slavin, it doesn't.  LOL.

Unless we're adding Nylander to Kapanen?  

Sheesh.

Again, then we keep Kapanen. Simple. Not sure why you're struggling with it. 

Also, the CAR owner definitely meddles. Here's LeBrun explaining about how he tries to make home teams wear white 'cause he doesn't like CAR's road uniforms.

https://www.bardown.com/the-odd-reason-why-the-hurricanes-wore-their-red-jersey-on-the-road-against-montreal-1.1226288?fbclid=IwAR2if4NzEP7-siIo_8z09Xe_7BrXtbn935-Twk9Bc1WI0e3_tus7IT0Or14

Edited by Bojack

Meh. Carolina can get to fucking themselves. 

Would much rather have Kappy as part of the core going forward. 

We are not in the business of trading away good young talent, and Kappy's speed is something you can't teach. The fact he can play special teams and provide offence just makes him that much more useful to us as a player and not as a trade chip. 

Not too keen on moving Lily or Sandy either before we even get to see what they can offer us in the next couple years. With Hainsey, Gards and hopefully Marinshit off the books by season's end, and contracts due to Matthews, Marner, Kappy, Johnsson and Ozzy, having 2 ELCs that could very well be in the lineup next year might be the cap smarts we need to have all our RFAs in uniform by training camp.

We built our forward depth through our farm system with great returns, time to see if we can do the same with our defense. 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Here here.

Like I said in last nights GDT, if we are a speed team, we want Kapanen to be on our team. He blows by most and even gets to the corners and as you stated plays in all situations. To be honest, I would rather give up on Nylander to fetch us an almighty D man rather than Kappy. I also think it would be better for us in the long run considering the cap and knowing what Nylander gets paid to what Kapanen will get. 

I really would rather target Parayko with Nylander and stay away from Carolinas D men for any deal involving Kapanen.

I know Nylander has had a bad start and eventually he will become the player (talent wise that he should be) but right now, Ny becomes the expendable one and fwiw, who cares at this junction if Dubas goes back on his word that Nylander is around as long as he is the GM. Our GM has eyes and must know that Kapanen has really improved, gained confidence and could probably do just as well on Matthews line as Nylander could, or...it is really close in my books considering what areas Kapanen does for us.

Since the Blues appear to have a for sale sign, it's one of their d-men I'd also target and yes Nylander can be a part of that package going back.

Friedman was super vague about it, but it sounded like the Leafs wanted to do Nylander for Parayko and the Blues instead offered Pietrangelo, the Leafs didn’t want to move Nylander for Pietrangelo but wanted him all the same. And that’s how we’re where we are at. 

So my thinking is, the Zaitsev talk is because we’d like to move out from that contract. And maybe even give Gardiner that money(as much as we like to hate on him.)... If you look at the McDonagh trade, and ignore that they flipped Namestnikov for Miller. It worked out to be a really good prospect in Howden and a disappointing high pick prospect in Hajek. Plus a first round pick.

So essentially, we’re looking at something like Zaitsev, Liljegren/Sandin, Bracco and a 1st... Anecdotally, it sounds like Sandin might be ahead of where Liljegren was last year, but it feels like a bad decision to give up on a RHD who’s been excelling in all situations. But the cost of going for it is high, what are you gonna do?

24 minutes ago, loxcane said:

Friedman was super vague about it, but it sounded like the Leafs wanted to do Nylander for Parayko and the Blues instead offered Pietrangelo, the Leafs didn’t want to move Nylander for Pietrangelo but wanted him all the same. And that’s how we’re where we are at. 

So my thinking is, the Zaitsev talk is because we’d like to move out from that contract. And maybe even give Gardiner that money(as much as we like to hate on him.)... If you look at the McDonagh trade, and ignore that they flipped Namestnikov for Miller. It worked out to be a really good prospect in Howden and a disappointing high pick prospect in Hajek. Plus a first round pick.

So essentially, we’re looking at something like Zaitsev, Liljegren/Sandin, Bracco and a 1st... Anecdotally, it sounds like Sandin might be ahead of where Liljegren was last year, but it feels like a bad decision to give up on a RHD who’s been excelling in all situations. But the cost of going for it is high, what are you gonna do?

Well....Matthews didn’t score last night, maybe it’s time to try and sell high.....if we can find any takers. 

30 minutes ago, loxcane said:

That's a big trade. I wonder if the team will be able to keep Pietrangelo after his contract up. He's a top D-man though and the price isn't cheap. 

I'd probably make it. The best opportunity for the Leafs to win a cup is in the next 2 years when things are still sorta affordable. Shit, you can argue it's this season before we have to give new contracts to Matthews/Marner. At best, Timmy L becomes what Alex is in 3+ years time. Who knows what our team will look like then.