Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Armster

2018-19 Trade Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Yeah what the actual fuck? Most people are aware that this team needs to improve in several areas, grit being one of them, but they want someone who can also contribute offensively rather than just being a gritty player. 

 

I think we have enough fire power where contributing offensively may be important if we take a stay at home defender for example, he does not have to chip in getting goals or the first assist, I would be satisfied that he could take care of business in his own end and be able be find an outlet so point production in this case does not matter to me as much but protecting our end with meaning weighs out more in this instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think we have enough fire power where contributing offensively may be important if we take a stay at home defender for example, he does not have to chip in getting goals or the first assist, I would be satisfied that he could take care of business in his own end and be able be find an outlet so point production in this case does not matter to me as much but protecting our end with meaning weighs out more in this instance.

Stay at home guys are extinct now. You need people to can get the puck out of the zone. For a defenseman, I am not concerned about points. Just making that outlet pass and making sure the net is clear. If it’s a forward, he needs to be able to contribute offensively. We don’t need another Matt Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Stay at home guys are extinct now. You need people to can get the puck out of the zone. For a defenseman, I am not concerned about points. Just making that outlet pass and making sure the net is clear. If it’s a forward, he needs to be able to contribute offensively. We don’t need another Matt Martin.

I don't think stay at homes are extinct or as bad as you may seem to make it if they are (like I said) taking care of business in their own end, such as going to the boards with authority, making the opposition aware and pay a price by offering up their body to grind for the puck or protecting our crease area. As a matter of fact, you can use the other d man as the transitional piece that has that more forward motion aspect to their game. 

Playoffs tighten up and a stay at home should be wanted not only because usually they keep their game simple and tend to make fewer mistakes compared to the Gardiner types that shy away from contact when the heat gets hotter. His type is okay for areas that are wide open, stay at home usually do things well in those tight battle areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

@Danny

 

who would you you consider a stay at home guy?

Kronwall

Hjalmarsson

Chara

Brodie

Hamilton

 eric Johnson 

Phaneuf

Parayko

Myers

Weber

edited to add-to name a few

edited to spell erics' last name right, lol

Edited by Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Kronwall too old

Hjalmarsson dunno bout him

Chara Oft injured

Brodie could be a thing

Hamilton not enough games to pass judgement

Johnston who? 

Phaneuf been there done that never again.

Parayko cost us way too much to acquire

Myers Big but not the brightest tool in the shed

Weber Montreal not giving up on him just yet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anger Management said:

Babcock ain't gonna get Gardiner  to hit players at all, ever! Our forwards at best aren't built for team toughness all they have is run and gun and long stretch passes from the D to the O-zone if they even connect. The game is still being played along the boards and we gots no one to fight for them except Hyman and that is sad that he has to do all the grinding to get the damn pucks on this team.  I think @Danny would rather have at least 5 Hyman's on this team in both defence and forwards who can fight for the puck and muck it out along the boards against other teams power forwards.

Tenacity is not just hitting. In fact, when players over commit to hitting they will often get their bodies out of position.

Tenacity is not being willing to be beaten by your assignment.

Not willing to be beaten to the puck.

Not willing to be out battled for the puck.

Not willing to lose focus and lose positioning.

Willing to get the body in lanes.

Willing to block shots.

Willing to take the shots necessary to box out in front of the net.

And so on.

Not willing to lose. Ever.

That's tenacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mantis Toboggan said:

A few of those guys are also solid skaters and puck movers; which is the more important part right now 

But they are also stay at home defender types (which was the question) And imo if you are a pro you should be able to skate and sometimes the only place you may have to skate to become important is from the goal crease to the side boards. So with my reasonings and knowing we will not have 5 bad skaters on the ice at the same time so it all comes down to the fortes I seem to mention all the time and adding dimensions where we lack to our line up.

I understand sometimes when you add it takes away from other areas sometimes but for me it is plain to see we need some grit inserted into the line up and having a stay at home with that type of forte can add for the good and not just the bad but to employ a different dimension that we need in our end that would not make us so soft in our end of the rink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

But they are also stay at home defender types (which was the question) And imo if you are a pro you should be able to skate and sometimes the only place you may have to skate to become important is from the goal crease to the side boards. So with my reasonings and knowing we will not have 5 bad skaters on the ice at the same time so it all comes down to the fortes I seem to mention all the time and adding dimensions where we lack to our line up.

I understand sometimes when you add it takes away from other areas sometimes but for me it is plain to see we need some grit inserted into the line up and having a stay at home with that type of forte can add for the good and not just the bad but to employ a different dimension that we need in our end that would not make us so soft in our end of the rink.

I don’t think a good chunk of those guys are what I would consider stay at home. A few of them can be counted on for offensive prowess which isn’t a characteristic of the stay at home 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Danny i think this arguement is futile at this point not everyone thinks we need some form of team toughness, all's well that ends well we shall see how these armchair coaches and GM's feel come April when we are either out of the playoffs or battling for a wildcard spot. If nothing gets done by Feb 25th then we know where Dubas and Babcock are with the current roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I don’t think a good chunk of those guys are what I would consider stay at home. A few of them can be counted on for offensive prowess which isn’t a characteristic of the stay at home 

Well call it the new age stay at home defenders.

You probably get the point where I am coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

@Danny i think this arguement is futile at this point not everyone thinks we need some form of team toughness, all's well that ends well we shall see how these armchair coaches and GM's feel come April when we are either out of the playoffs or battling for a wildcard spot. If nothing gets done by Feb 25th then we know where Dubas and Babcock are with the current roster.

Again, nobody is against adding grit if those players can also contribute offensively and make the team better. Guys Kronwall and Kassian don't. Pull your head out of your ass.

Edited by Morrison7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I don’t think a good chunk of those guys are what I would consider stay at home. A few of them can be counted on for offensive prowess which isn’t a characteristic of the stay at home 

SO 82 GP low points and high in hits and well i don't understand advanced stats so i can't know where GF vs GA when they are on the ice counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

@Danny i think this arguement is futile at this point not everyone thinks we need some form of team toughness, all's well that ends well we shall see how these armchair coaches and GM's feel come April when we are either out of the playoffs or battling for a wildcard spot. If nothing gets done by Feb 25th then we know where Dubas and Babcock are with the current roster.

I do not mind the insistence of other posters and what their portrayal of the team should be and I understand that the game has changed in a sense so as much as I try to drill or employ the position I stand behind it comes with blemishes when looked at the angle from the opposite spectrum of thoughts and views of what others seem fit.

Sometimes I can also get carried away with driving my point home and in my eyes ( I don't care what everyone else sees) but there are times where I see something that needs to be added is just a different recipe that maybe the other cooks don't want to use in their mix. Both are trying to cook a good dish that taste great and even though we are all trying to serve the best main course , the recipes differ.

We are not arm chair gms, we are cooks.

Edited by Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

I am not on the Kassian Kronwall train dumbass.

I'm using them as an example for one... and I'm not the one who believes this team will miss the playoffs or battle for a wildcard spot solely because they're missing grit either.

Fuck, they made the playoffs last season minus Tavares and this was with this team's "grit" being utterly useless. Sandpaper with some offensive production is a need, but it won't make or break this roster like a two-way, top 4 D would.

Edited by Morrison7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Again, nobody is against adding grit if those players can also contribute offensively and make the team better. Guys Kronwall and Kassian don't. Pull your head out of your ass.

Guess you did not watch Kassian last year against the sharks in the playoffs. He was a beast.

And...again, sometimes you do not have to add or contribute offensively so long as you are playing sound defensively. There are many faucets in the game and tell me why rubbing out the opposition along the boards is not a good thing?

Edited by Danny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...