Sign in to follow this  
Armster

2018-19 Trade Thread

Chris Johnston on Sportsnet 590 earlier today: I think it's more likely, honestly, that we see Nikita Zaitsev moved. I think it's a tough trade to make but I know his name has been out there among other teams as someone they could get.

https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1085697553742680065

Edited by brocto

2 hours ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

I think it was Buttons TSN top 50 prospect list. I think he has Sandin mid range and Liljegren on even on the top 50.

It was. He had him as our best prospect not playing in the NHL. Rated a top pairing, Liljegren as a middle pairing guy.

Button's an idiot, but I have heard elsewhere Sandin is projecting better at this point.

2 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Probably a reason why McQuaid has only played 22 games on a relatively awful Rangers roster too.

Yeah, there's a name for it, but I forget what it is. 

We humans have a habit of doubling-down on our ideas and theories when they're shot down rather than shifting our POVs.

3 hours ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

I think it was Buttons TSN top 50 prospect list. I think he has Sandin mid range and Liljegren on even on the top 50.

Button thinks they’re both two or three years away from seeing an NHL game. Dude is fucked in the head.

Even during the pre-season, I was extremely impressed by Sandin's game and he definitely looked like the better and more NHL ready defenceman than Liljegren who already played a year in the AHL and even was apart of a Calder winning team.

4 hours ago, Matthews34 said:

Even during the pre-season, I was extremely impressed by Sandin's game and he definitely looked like the better and more NHL ready defenceman than Liljegren who already played a year in the AHL and even was apart of a Calder winning team.

The left side is also log jammed. I think he’s easily the more tradeable asset, though I’m sure they’d rather move Rosen than either of them, he obviously comes with significantly less value. It’s too hard to find RHD to go and trade a guy who looks like a guaranteed NHLer though.

Also, it’s definitely worth considering taking a step back in the caliber of player we might get to minimize what we’re giving up. Especially if it’s a roster player. Has anyone seen the list of guys on expiring contracts? Or the guys with two or three years left on bad teams?

There’s a good chance some of these guys won’t be available to us, but if they’re available to the teams we’re competing with to get a defenceman, it still benefits us. 

Karlsson, Edler, Methot, Kronwall, Ceci, Edmundson, Gunnarsson, McQuaid, Lovejoy, Zadorov, Petrovic, Sbisa, Engelland, Wideman, Oripik, Polak

Pietrangelo, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk, Hamilton, Staal, Sekera, Petry, Goligoski, Hjalrmarsson, Demers, Smith, Cole, Savard, Brodin, Larsson, Russel, Martinez, Gudbranson, Oleksiak, Peledh

Boychuk, Parayko, Leddy, Jones, Lindholm, DeKeyser, de Haan, Klingberbg, Manson, Maatta, Miller, Nutivaara, Mcnabb, Hickey, Bortuzzo.

A few of those names could be a reach... but there’s a fucking shit ton of options here.

Edited by loxcane

1 minute ago, loxcane said:

And Babcock has said a million times that he prefers to have it even 

That’s all fine and dandy but you can’t always get what you want. I’ve also heard that Sandin already appears to be as good, if not better than Liljegren. Trading the (arguably) better player because he’s a lefty is a bad decision. Unless you’re filling that first pair RHD hole. 

12 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Man, that list is all kinds of intriguing and also all kinds of awful, depending on which names we’re looking at here.

I wouldn’t hate Nick Jensen off Detroit personally.

Yeah, that’s a name that Friedman keeps mentioning. I’m not sure it solves the Hainsey on the top pair issue, but if Zaitsev gets moved he could be a guy that replaces him.

18 minutes ago, loxcane said:

Yeah, that’s a name that Friedman keeps mentioning. I’m not sure it solves the Hainsey on the top pair issue, but if Zaitsev gets moved he could be a guy that replaces him.

RHD with good underlying numbers despite being buried with defensive zone starts and playing with a past his prime Kronwall. Only makes 812K this year too.

Just now, Morrison7 said:

RHD with good underlying numbers despite being buried with defensive zone starts and playing with a past his prime Kronwall. Only makes 812K this year too.

Yeah, he’d be a nice guy to flank dermott for the next few years.

Unless there's someone available who nobody suspects could be available, one of the guys on the list below would be great to get by the deadline. Not expecting teams to be trading younger guys, and most of ones below are out of playoff picture.

Slavin/Faulk/Pesce from Canes
Pietrangelo/Parayko from Blues
Muzzin/Martinez from Kings
Klingberg from Stars (might be hardest to get)
Edler from Canucks (Only if they're able to deal Gardiner either in this deal or some other trade)
Manson/Fowler from Ducks