Sign in to follow this  
Armster

2018-19 Trade Thread

2 hours ago, majingir said:

Now knowing how much Matthews will be getting, how much will this change the approach heading into the deadline? Perhaps we might even have some deals on the table that Leafs were just waiting until this extension was done before considering?

Or there’s more urgency to unload guys like Brown or Zaitsev.

13 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

Or there’s more urgency to unload guys like Brown or Zaitsev.

I wouldn’t call it urgency. But one of them inevitably goes. I’d say.

I keep mentioning Cody Ceci as a guy we should target, especially if he isn’t tendered a contract. I’m sure being a local boy he’s interested in sticking around there, but I think we can get him for cheap and bring him back on a one year deal at like 1.5. He’s been really bad this year, but that whole blue line is a wreck. He could look decent alongside Dermott or Rosen 

41 minutes ago, Matthews34 said:

Don't think you're going to get Ceci for cheap. I remember watching TSN a few weeks ago and they mentioned his name and how Ottawa would want a 1st round pick and a prospect to start off.

Dorion has that whole “don’t want to trade within the division” bullshit too so that’s not even an option unless a third team gets involved.

I’m assuming Lox meant to sign in free agency though. As long as Hainsey and Zaitsev are gone and they’re not fully one-dimensional.

2 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

Dorion has that whole “don’t want to trade within the division” bullshit too so that’s not even an option unless a third team gets involved.

I’m assuming Lox meant to sign in free agency though. As long as Hainsey and Zaitsev are gone and they’re not fully one-dimensional.

There is the classic wait until another team pays peanuts for him,  then flips him to us tactic.

3 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

i wouldnt mind hainsey back one more year, 1.5 million-2 million, to play with dermott.

6 hours ago, Matthews34 said:

Don't think you're going to get Ceci for cheap. I remember watching TSN a few weeks ago and they mentioned his name and how Ottawa would want a 1st round pick and a prospect to start off.

That’s pretty hilarious if the talk is that he won’t be rendered cause he makes too much at 2.25. Dorian is a doofus though. So who knows. 

I don't see how we'd give up Zaitsev in a Canes deal unless it's something major. My video game trade would be TVR,Faulk for Gardiner(after Canes get to talk to him and re-sign him), Zaitsev, Brown + more. If it helps get rid of Zaitsev, I'd even take Darling as a buyout cap dump.

Faulk would be the easier of their main 3 to even get. Would've been nice if Canes had interest in Gardiner(especially if they were able to work out a deal to re-sign him before the trade happens). I'm sure Faulk wouldn't stay, so they could deal 1 year of Faulk for maybe 4-5 years of Gardiner (plus more pieces obviously).

With all this talk about dmen, what if TVR ends up being the return? Won't be the big move we'd need, but would still be a good addition for our 3rd line. Maybe he could jump to 2nd line and bump Zaitsev down to 3rd line. Brown going the other way wouldn't be a bad deal for Canes either.

Edited by majingir

13 minutes ago, LRFE said:

TSN saying we're kicking the tires on Glendening again

Salary wise I'm not sure how that'd fit in. 1.8m for a 4th line guy? The way Leafs are structured, 4th line going forward will basically have to be guys on ELC or vets signing cheap 1 year deal like Ennis did.

27 minutes ago, majingir said:

Salary wise I'm not sure how that'd fit in. 1.8m for a 4th line guy? The way Leafs are structured, 4th line going forward will basically have to be guys on ELC or vets signing cheap 1 year deal like Ennis did.

Red Wings retain salary.

I'm not saying I want that, I'm saying that's how it works. 

5 minutes ago, §andman said:

Jensen + Glendenning for Zaitsev or something could theoretically work... 

Not sure if Jensen over Zaitsev is much of an upgrade, though. And we really don't need to waste assets on another 4th liner. 

Jensen is a pretty significant upgrade imo, he’s worth trading for alone. The bottom six has been fine and only gets better with Ennis back.

If Leafs do go after Glendening, Gauthier is probably gonna have to be one of the guys in the deal. Maybe Gauthier + pick for Glendening (at retained salary)? 800k or something I'd want them to take so Leafs only on the hook for 1M.

34 minutes ago, robbie said:

I don't pay attention as much of the rest of you, but did we not used to love Zaitsev a few years ago? Has his play tailed off that much? 

Is it just this season?

And is there any chance that he could regain his rookie form?

A few years ago he was making under 1M, checking alot more, putting up better numbers. Now he's making 4.5M, not putting up as good numbers, and is on a team who has lots of money needing to be spent on others.

I'm sure peoples reactions to Zaitsev might not be as bad if he was making 3M for next few years vs 4.5M for next 5.

2 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Why is Dubas trading a young player who makes pennies and picks for 4th liners again? What a waste of time that’d be.

Glendening is a guy Babcock likes and would actually play. Gauthier doesn't even get 10 minutes a game. And he's a good checking guy that can win faceoffs.