Sign in to follow this  
Armster

2018-19 Trade Thread

Petan going to be taking Lindholm’s spot or what? I remember the dude from when he was a prospect, but he doesn’t seem to be developing as well as expected. 

I remember Babptise mostly cuz I picked him up in NHL17, dude was like 92 ov lol. With him headed to the Marlins, I think it’s safe to say that EA missed the mark on that one pretty hard lol

3 hours ago, Jhator said:

Petan going to be taking Lindholm’s spot or what? I remember the dude from when he was a prospect, but he doesn’t seem to be developing as well as expected. 

I remember Babptise mostly cuz I picked him up in NHL17, dude was like 92 ov lol. With him headed to the Marlins, I think it’s safe to say that EA missed the mark on that one pretty hard lol

Didn't know he was a multi-sport player? Well i really hope he helps the Marlins out i know he will enjoy Florida.

15 minutes ago, majingir said:

He does play C. Marlins need a new C. 

Really though, if Kadri isn't back for the back to back, I could see Petan playing 1 game. Oilers are worse, let's see what he can do there. Then whoever sits Wednesday will be fresh for Thursdays game. 

Wow that went over your head too? What are Toronto's AHL team named again?

22 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

Wow that went over your head too? What are Toronto's AHL team named again?

I knew what you meant. Just thought it was funny his positions letter format is same as Marlins big need after the offseason they had. 

But Marlins is what autocorrect does to Marlies. 

7 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

Having Tavares, Muzzin, a 100% healthy Matthews, and 4 more games of Kadri is better than people give them credit for, imo.

I think this year matthews has finally taken a step forward.  (I realize that sounds dumb considering he had 40 goals his first season) I could be wrong obviously and maybe this is just a hot take, but I watch him play and his determination is different than what it used to be, his second efforts, fights for puck, etc, are beginning to become more common place, which is 100% what you need come playoff time, regardless of what talent you think you have.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong and he still needs more time to develop, but I don't think we see him shut down in the playoffs again like we have in the past.

Edited by Pai Mei

I was upset a little yesterday when they did not address some weakness I see by means of adding grit and we know Dubas most likely tried as he looked into Ferland, and Simmonds, and yes even McQuaid, so he must of knew we needed it too but pretty much seemed relieved that he added Muzzin earlier on. 

I am glad we added Muzzin too as I prefer that we get our p's and q's in order before the deadline, so that was good.

Also as said I wouldn't of even minded Kassian too, and some may think that hey glad you are not the gm or we will be fucked.

I understand that sure, Dubas is rolling mainly with the skill and must know we avoid some body checks and can be satisfied just sitting back and seeing if the team or other individuals we have can step up when the playoffs arrive.

I look at shit like the other night when Weber was going for Matthews in the corner and sure right now it seems fine that Matthews was able to put Shea on his back then a desperate Weber tries to hold onto Matthews foot as he tried to skate away (which should of been a penalty but...enough of that and more to what my point is)

Now if we think Weber is going to just possum up, we must be blind, as a matter of fact I feel he will play the boards even heavier on Matthews next time (players do not forget) and Weber looked pretty embarrassed.

That leads to other teams also realizing that we are skilled and fast with very little grit. People complain lots about our penalties and sometimes it seems rightfully so but imo, soft teams get called for soft penalties and teams that play heavy get different calls, so sometimes we have to think like that, rather than every little thing is going to get called,...well it isn't.

I am just saying that yes, some added grit would of been nice and someone who can throw them, because not only are teams going to get heavier on us because how does a team slow down a speedy team? Well they hit them, they play the board game.

How do we slow down a speedy team, well, what we have is skill, so we have to rely on that mostly.

I do not want anyone taking liberties at Marner/Matthews or anyone of our upcoming youngsters. Lets think about that? Sandin and Liljegren coming in next year. how do we protect them? with skill alone? No, but it is the chance we are taking this year, so,.. no matter the case, no matter our team we just gotta hope they can plug along, stay healthy and hopefully end up having a deep run. 

GO TEAM GO!

Danny, I think it's important to give the managers, coaches, and players the benefit of the doubt that they understand the playoffs are a different animal than the grind of a 82 game regular season.

I honestly cant think of a single player in the league who puts his body on the line every single game. They'd be in traction by Xmas.

Puck management is key for this team. With their skill and speed they need to manage the puck well enough that the heavy teams can't get in on them and create separation. Sometimes they will be required to absorb a hit to make the right play and avoid turnovers (looking at you Gardiner) and hopefully they have the "grit" to make that happen.

There's no debating they have the skill.

16 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Danny, I think it's important to give the managers, coaches, and players the benefit of the doubt that they understand the playoffs are a different animal than the grind of a 82 game regular season.

I honestly cant think of a single player in the league who puts his body on the line every single game. They'd be in traction by Xmas.

Puck management is key for this team. With their skill and speed they need to manage the puck well enough that the heavy teams can't get in on them and create separation. Sometimes they will be required to absorb a hit to make the right play and avoid turnovers (looking at you Gardiner) and hopefully they have the "grit" to make that happen.

There's no debating they have the skill.

They also have to consider upcoming contracts due to the cap, so that can either tie their hands from making deals while considering the future as well. Hey I am glad they kept Johnsson and Kappy and hope they can still keep both but there are others that could of been traded imo to enhance a more rounded out looking team.  I have to give Dubie a pass on this deadline and see how he aligns the stars come next year but we are what we are right now and hey, when I look back at some previous years, we are better off today than then, so that is good.

4th liners and D men who block shots and play along the boards are usually the ones that put their bodies on the line most nights, especially come playoff time. Actually the way McQuaid blocks shots, he seems like one who is willing to put his body on the line as an example.

Puck management sure is key for us but we all know that space runs out real quick in the playoffs and I guess I prefer players that never fear going to dirty areas and try to make something happen rather than the drive by and one hand poke check and as stated by me many times, in our end, I want the opposition forwards to know they will have to pay a price going deep in our end along the boards and not feel so fearless against us. 

No debating we have skill, we have doubled down on skill and rolling with it, I see that, but It makes me wonder though how at the last minutes/weeks we have to try and seek out grit and really did not attain any extra grinds? He was searching but came out empty.

Oh well, as said , we are what we are so time to kick some ass on the scoreboards.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I look at shit like the other night when Weber was going for Matthews in the corner and sure right now it seems fine that Matthews was able to put Shea on his back then a desperate Weber tries to hold onto Matthews foot as he tried to skate away (which should of been a penalty but...enough of that and more to what my point is)

Now if we think Weber is going to just possum up, we must be blind, as a matter of fact I feel he will play the boards even heavier on Matthews next time (players do not forget) and Weber looked pretty embarrassed.

Next time Weber won't even be able to see Matthews as he speeds by him, making him trip over his own legs.

Other than that - Weber plays like that vs every team, dirty hits, and i havent seen anyone 'go at him'. Marchand is a scumbag too - but no one goes at him either. 

7 minutes ago, brocto said:

Next time Weber won't even be able to see Matthews as he speeds by him, making him trip over his own legs.

Other than that - Weber plays like that vs every team, dirty hits, and i havent seen anyone 'go at him'. Marchand is a scumbag too - but no one goes at him either. 

Because Weber is his own backup while Marchand has his own back up to watch his back. 

Weber's a half-ass defender nowadays with a big slapshot which doesn't make up for his trash skating.  He gets beat so much and so many times tries to make up for it by getting out of position to make a bad hit or take a penalty.   We exposed that big time on Saturday how are you talking about him otherwise kills me.

22 minutes ago, Armster said:

Weber's a half-ass defender nowadays with a big slapshot which doesn't make up for his trash skating.  He gets beat so much and so many times tries to make up for it by getting out of position to make a bad hit or take a penalty.   We exposed that big time on Saturday how are you talking about him otherwise kills me.

I do not disagree with you, but eventually he gets his hits in, so just saying he is the type to go through you rather than to you when the space runs out. Chara has slowed down too but also makes me weary when he has one of our guys lined up in a corner..

6 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

There’s no reason to believe the Leafs get “soft calls” called against them or have the worst penalty differential in the league because they’re a “soft” team either imo.

Well maybe you might not believe it, but I feel what I said is true, so I guess we are at opposite ends here. Nothing new.

1 hour ago, Morrison7 said:

There’s no reason to believe the Leafs get “soft calls” called against them or have the worst penalty differential in the league because they’re a “soft” team either imo.

We are the least penalized team in the league and our opponents have 28 more penalty minutes than we do. That's not the worst in the league. We sit between TB/SJ and Vegas.

Please stop.

Blocked shots were also mentioned, so were McQuaid and Weber. Zaitsev and Hainsey both have more blocked shots than either. Go to per game (Weber hurt, McQuaid injured/not good enough to be a regular?), Zaitsev is higher than Weber and basically on par with McQuaid (2.1 to Zaitsev's 2.0.) Jake Muzzin and Ron Hainsey equal Weber's blocked shots per game.

It’s not just puck management. There are guys on this team that struggle under prsssure for sure, but the bigger problem is guys not positioning well to cut off opponent lanes. Play away from the puck has been as troublesome as play with the puck for a number of the guys on the team. 

Good news is that when you improve in either of these situations it automatically helps in the other as well, fewer turnovers means not having to worry about defensive positioning as much and better positioning means you have more/better options to move the puck if you do get it.