Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Chiarelli Fired

7 minutes ago, Raiden said:

When compared the average NHL  starter, he is making right in the middle. The issue is, he is not a starter lol 

He's played 30 games and is 30 years old

+ Desmith just signed with the Pens, he's 27, has 41 GP, and a .918 SV% at time of signing.  3 years, 1.5M AAV.    I understand why Koskinen isn't necessarily taking a pay-cut mid-season to re-sign but FMV does not dictate triple the value of a direct comparable.  And, while he had a good start with EDM, Koskinen had an .877 sv% in his last 10 games.   It was nonsensical in every possible way.

As I said, the Koskinen signing still has a chance to work out ok, if not well, for EDM. It doesn't look likely, but the jury is still out.

However, the Eberle trade turned out disastrously. The Hall trade turned out disastrously. The Lucic signing has turned out disastrously. I'm sure there's more, those are just off the top o my head.

Those are the moves he should have been fired for, but he wasn't. He was fired after the press kicked up a fuss about a signing that might still turn out ok, that Nicholson insists was a group-decision. 

Imagine you're Koskinen and your extension was so badly received that your GM got fired. Much confidence. Very self-esteem. Wow.

48 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

As I said, the Koskinen signing still has a chance to work out ok, if not well, for EDM. It doesn't look likely, but the jury is still out.

However, the Eberle trade turned out disastrously. The Hall trade turned out disastrously. The Lucic signing has turned out disastrously. I'm sure there's more, those are just off the top o my head.

Those are the moves he should have been fired for, but he wasn't. He was fired after the press kicked up a fuss about a signing that might still turn out ok, that Nicholson insists was a group-decision. 

Imagine you're Koskinen and your extension was so badly received that your GM got fired. Much confidence. Very self-esteem. Wow.

There may be a bit more to the timing than just that.

Oilers are on their bye week, so I can see why they would choose that time to make a change and regroup.

Also, and likely more importantly, seasons tickets just came up for renewal and it’s entirely possible they thought this would appease the fans.

Really, who knows what the fuck is the impetus for that management group to do anything? If they caved to media pressure and that’s why they fired him, they’re idiots. If they decided to sign Koskinen to this extension now instead of waiting another 20-30 games to better assess him, they’re idiots. Another very real possibility is that they intended to fire Chiarelli and still allowed him to make signings and trades unchecked. That might be the worst of the three options!

Another hilarious thing after the press conference and jackass Bob’s “there’s something in the water..”

Epcor (Edmonton’s water and power provider) tweeted: The water in Edmonton is just fine, Bob. We get the water here right every day for over a million people!

1 hour ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

The Reinhart trade was absolutely horrible... and the Manning trade, on principle alone, was unthinkable! Why even risk pissing off McDavid by acquiring the only guy in the league who has injured him and whom McDavid has publicly slammed and who also just happens to be... an AHL level defenceman signed at over 2 million a year through the end of next year?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this