Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Timothy Liljegren

I haven’t seen him this year... but I watched most of the marlies playoff games last year. He was even hurt for most of it and they kept talking about how much his game had suffered but he still looked great. He’s got a bit of a strange stride, so when you hear about his great skating, it seems to me like it’s more of an agility and a first step thing than it is break away speed. He moves really well with the puck and has incredible vision. He like to do that quick angle change in the neutral zone(I’m sure a lot of guys do it, but Erik Karlsson is the one that comes to mind that does it often). He plays relatively physical and he’s pretty relentless on the puck. He definitely doesn’t look out of place among much older and physically developed players. And from what I read, previous to his injury this year, he was playing in all situations and getting the match ups against top players. I’ve also never seen evidence of it. But apparently he has an absolute bomb of a shot.

Do you think he still projects to be a top pairing guy?  Or, are we thinking more of a #3 role? Or worse?  I know it's hard to project such a young defenseman whose development is continually hampered by injuries but based on his skill set and the way he's handled his role what are we looking at here?

3 hours ago, Armster said:

Do you think he still projects to be a top pairing guy?  Or, are we thinking more of a #3 role? Or worse?  I know it's hard to project such a young defenseman whose development is continually hampered by injuries but based on his skill set and the way he's handled his role what are we looking at here?

I think the injuries will tell the whole story. But he’s probably most likely going to be a good second pair guy on a good team. I’d say that’s a reasonable expectation anyways

Before his injury he was playing top pair, top PP and top PK with strong possession results according to Jeffler’s tracking. Pretty impressive for a kid who’s still 19. But as lox alluded to, his skating is still a bit of an issue. He’s got a really wonky stride but still seems to get around well enough. 

I think he’s still capable of becoming a top 4 defenseman even if he’s never a number 1 guy. He probably won’t score a ton but he’ll break the puck out well with his strong passing ability and vision. If he undergoes a Dermott-like transformation with his skating, all bets are off and he could be a star. But that’s not a particularly easy progression to make.

1 hour ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Sounds pretty positive. Let's hope he stays healthy and takes a serious run at the Leafs lineup next camp.

That’s really the biggest concern. He’s been plagued by injuries or illness for three straight seasons