Sign in to follow this  
Debaser

Muzzin to Leafs

1 minute ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

The point isn't that good defensemen can't play on bad teams, it is that being the best defenseman on a bad team isn't much of an accolade. 

Which you all knew and decided to overlook, 'cause it interferes with your circle-jerk.

We got Doughty now? Fucking eh Dubas is doing the lords work.

3 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

The point isn't that good defensemen can't play on bad teams, it is that being the best defenseman on a bad team isn't much of an accolade. 

Which you all knew and decided to overlook, 'cause it interferes with your circle-jerk.

Ummm, it has everything to do whit what he can still do despite what a shitshow his team is doing.

no overlook, you are just trying to look at something that really is not there.

Edited by Danny

6 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

I know you hate uteck and all, but you don’t have to as miserable as him all the time... 

I never thought I'd say I'd prefer someone over uteck but holy fuck king of dick mountain makes uteck even look like a genius lmao

11 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Lets hope we can trade Nylander for Pietrangelo and acquire a top-pairing RHD. 

Rielly - Pietrangelo

Gardiner - Muzzin

Dermott - Hainsey

might have a chance of making it out of the first round.

St Louis is a basement team. No sense in trading for anyone from them.

5 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Much like Connor McDavid is the best forward on a real fuck-up of an Edmonton team?

On any other good team, he's probably just a 3rd liner at best.

Just now, Mantis Toboggan said:

Kings fans have said he’s been their most consistent defenseman this year

That's probably a fair assessment.  You'd expect a team with Doughty playing like the stud he usually is would have won at least a few more games but it's definitely a Leafs fan thing to speak in such absolutes.  Doughty's been up and down this year but his highs are so much higher than almost every defenseman in the league, I don't know how you can quantify such a statement.

6 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Said nobody. Ever.

Jodi, you also have to look at it in the way you represented your other posts and considering our 1st which will be a late first really won't amount to much considering what we can use now.

Really what we gave up for this trade is a commendable doing by Dubas.

Edited by Danny

1 minute ago, Armster said:

That's probably a fair assessment.  You'd expect a team with Doughty playing like the stud he usually is would have won at least a few more games but it's definitely a Leafs fan thing to speak in such absolutes.  Doughty's been up and down this year but his highs are so much higher than almost every defenseman in the league, I don't know how you can quantify such a statement.

What stands out to me is how terrible Doughtys advanced stats are and how Muzzin leads the team in plus minus, while starting almost exclusively in the defensive zone. 

2 minutes ago, Armster said:

Playing nearly 27 minutes a game likely isn't helping him.

59 minutes ago, Armster said:

Actually they'll maybe put Reilly on the right side, yeah?  Even though Muzzin can and has played both sides?

I keep seeing people say he’s played both sides, but I’m not sure where the data is coming from. I’m gonna keep digging, but the main chunk of his career has been spent with doughty and Martinez. He plays the left side with both of them. I have a hard time believing he’ll start with Rielly right off the hop, but I guess we’ll see.

27 minutes ago, TuckerIntensity said:

Gardiner is the reason Zaitsev has been incompetent nearly his whole NHL career?

finally.. someone else see's that also, everybody rips zaitsev but doesn't see the reason ,, it's always been that, and will still be if he's constantly paired with #51 

1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

What stands out to me is how terrible Doughtys advanced stats are and how Muzzin leads the team in plus minus,

Plus minus aside, I just don't use it for anything ever, it;s too difficult to go exclusively by advanced stats.  That's a slow team that can't keep up with the rest of the league and has translated on their results.  There are a multitude of reasons for Doughty's stats to read the way they do. 

2 minutes ago, bandit said:

finally.. someone else see's that also, everybody rips zaitsev but doesn't see the reason ,, it's always been that, and will still be if he's constantly paired with #51 

That question is because the idea is idiotic. He's the second best defenceman on that pairing, that's rough.

6 minutes ago, loxcane said:

I keep seeing people say he’s played both sides, but I’m not sure where the data is coming from. I’m gonna keep digging, but the main chunk of his career has been spent with doughty and Martinez. He plays the left side with both of them. I have a hard time believing he’ll start with Rielly right off the hop, but I guess we’ll see.

Who plays the right side when Drew gets a penalty? ;)

15 minutes ago, loxcane said:

He's definitely significantly played his left side but I know he was partnered with Ehroff and Mitchell a few years ago.  I know it's not anything crazy as it rarely is but it's something and it was happening when the Kings were actually good.

I won't pretend that I'm not kinda pissed that we gave up Grundstrom but on the whole I'm not too fussed about what we gave up. It seems like fair value for a second-pairing D who is under 30 and who comes with a Cup ring.

Like I said, I'm glad we got an upgrade on Hainsey and it's good to have more than one top-4D in our top-4. I just hope that Dubas can acquire a top-pairing RHD as well.

If we get Pietrangelo at the cost of Nylander as well, there isn't a team in the league we can't hang with and beat, this year and next.