Sign in to follow this  
Debaser

Muzzin to Leafs

2 minutes ago, §andman said:

Also, I'd like to point out that I first came up with this idea:

😁

If someone said you'd have to part with Grunstrom, a 1st, and spare parts what would your response have been?  Be honest.

10 minutes ago, Armster said:

He's definitely significantly played his left side but I know he was partnered with Ehroff and Mitchell a few years ago.  I know it's not anything crazy as it rarely is but it's something and it was happening when the Kings were actually good.

TSN is reporting he's playing the right side with Rielly.

I quoted you, but more to the conversation about if he can / has / will.

Just now, TuckerIntensity said:

TSN is reporting he's playing the right side with Rielly.

I quoted you, but more to the conversation about if he can / has / will.

Well I checked some historical line combos after hearing that he has played that side as well and will play with Rielly, and it seems there's been a decent amount of RD time but not much since 2015-16.  But who knows, it seems coaches hate doing it but what else happens here?  Surely they didn't acquire Muzzin at that cost to push him down the line-up.  He's here to push Hainsey and Zaitsev down one would assume.

1 minute ago, Armster said:

If someone said you'd have to part with Grunstrom, a 1st, and spare parts what would your response have been?  Be honest.

I think it's a steep price. Grundstrom looked to be a solid guy we could use next year on the cheap who could provide a little grit in the bottom 6. Durzi is a fine prospect but we have Sandin and Timmy L. A 1st is always tough to give up. 

Given where the Leafs are now this season with their cap situation, you needed to make a move. We'd all prefer Pietrangelo as plan A but the price would have been much steeper than this. This was a good plan C assuming there were no better plan B's available. 

It helps the Leafs and it's good value for the Kings. 

2 minutes ago, Armster said:

Well I checked some historical line combos after hearing that he has played that side as well and will play with Rielly, and it seems there's been a decent amount of RD time but not much since 2015-16.  But who knows, it seems coaches hate doing it but what else happens here?  Surely they didn't acquire Muzzin at that cost to push him down the line-up.  He's here to push Hainsey and Zaitsev down one would assume.

Hainsey to the third, it seems. At least to start. 

Also, this should be a thing, 

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Wizard of Oz

Dermott and Zaitsev looked to be playing well enough, Dermott can shoulder the responsibility. Hainsey should help cover up some of Gards mistakes. 

Just now, §andman said:

Also, this should be a thing, 

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Wizard of Oz

Dermott and Zaitsev looked to be playing well enough, Dermott can shoulder the responsibility. Hainsey should help cover up some of Gards mistakes. 

And we finally have a solid blueline from top to bottom!

Oz will go down to the marlies and hopefully really work on his skating. I think he can be a pretty good depth player for us, but he’s got to work on his stride. All he ever really needs to be is our 6th best D and then things will be looking good

Another thing I dig about this trade is that it was done early rather than waiting until deadline day. For me that is important to gain chemistry and go into a playoff stronger rather than throwing heat into the fire.

I also think this deal gives us again something that also can be used easier in our future, as in , maybe he plays rhd now, or can easily slip into Jakes role if needed if we go after another top 4 D man.  So it allows a variety of options which is good for us.

As per a LA Kings fan 'Great defensive play, big physicality. Strong playmaking/offensive ability. His only downside that hasn't made him a top tier dman/Norris candidate is that he's prone to making really obvious and glaring errors. But more times than not he's very solid' 

So, like a bigger more gritty Gardiner..

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Another thing I dig about this trade is that it was done early rather than waiting until deadline day. For me that is important to gain chemistry and go into a playoff stronger rather than throwing heat into the fire.

I also think this deal gives us again something that also can be used easier in our future, as in , maybe he plays rhd now, or can easily slip into Jakes role if needed if we go after another top 4 D man.  So it allows a variety of options which is good for us.

I think acquiring him at this point, especially if we’re expecting him to play his offside on the top pairing, is crucial.

1 minute ago, Morrison7 said:

No permanently fucked up left knee or shit analytics to be seen here, thankfully.

He did have surgery in his OHL draft year to repair a severely herniated disk though. Still ended up being taken 11th overall and having a pretty decent junior career though. But I wonder how much of a factor that played in his slow development. Missing an entire year of hockey at 15 or 16 can be huge.

4 minutes ago, loxcane said:

He did have surgery in his OHL draft year to repair a severely herniated disk though. Still ended up being taken 11th overall and having a pretty decent junior career though. But I wonder how much of a factor that played in his slow development. Missing an entire year of hockey at 15 or 16 can be huge.

It likely played a factor into why he was drafted 141st overall his NHL draft year too, the fact he's able to stay healthy at this level given his style of play is a bonus. He's basically what the Leafs thought Phaneuf was when they pegged the C on him.

I’m thinking Dubas is still looking for a guy that can play on the second pairing. Gudas has been thrown around a or by the talking heads, and he could certainly be had for less than Faulk or AP.

Rielly - Muzzin

Gardiner - Gudas

Dermott - Hainsey

Fire Gards out of a cannon this summer, let Hainsey walk, and hopefully Liljegren or Sandin are ready for next year. 

3 minutes ago, loxcane said:

I think acquiring him at this point, especially if we’re expecting him to play his offside on the top pairing, is crucial.

Sure, if that is what the team is expecting and using him for,... but still it does give us an almost ultimate option of even looking for another top D man then if we had to, slide him down into a top 3rd pairing role,..wow, now we have solid D. Jus saying he is almost the perfect pivot or utility D man if you will.