Sign in to follow this  
LRFE

Leafs Sign Auston Matthews to 5 year $11.634 million Extension

If Matthews signs for 5 years at 11.5 per, that's a big win for Matthews and a big loss for Dubas imo.

Wasn’t the purpose of buying less UFA years was to keep the cap hit down, yet he’s making more than JT? With that said, the market has been shifting this way for years. We're just stuck in it. Gah.

Edited by Morrison7

Gotta think that once the Matthews contract is done, it puts the leafs and marners positions into perspective. The leafs will want him at 1.5mil or so less than that, and he’ll want a mil less. Unless they want to go 8 years at the same number, which I don’t think should be eliminated from possibility.

4 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

If Matthews signs for 5 years at 11.5 per, that's a big win for Matthews and a big loss for Dubas imo.

Wasn’t the purpose of buying less UFA years was to keep the cap hit down, yet he’s making 500-700K less than JT?

JT is making 11... it’s the world we live in, bruh. The fact that he’s coming in less than mcdavid after two years of cap increases is pretty amazing 

3 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Wasn’t the purpose of buying less UFA years was to keep the cap hit down, yet he’s making more than JT?

I see the argument here. I would have liked the number to be 11 right on to match JT's if we were signing him to a shorter term. But I won't complain either way, on a 7-8 year deal we're paying Matthews 12.5-13 a year.

13 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Wasn’t the purpose of buying less UFA years was to keep the cap hit down, yet he’s making more than JT?

Anything for decent term that isn't max cap is fine. 

14 minutes ago, loxcane said:

JT is making 11... it’s the world we live in, bruh. The fact that he’s coming in less than mcdavid after two years of cap increases is pretty amazing 

That’s more than fair.

14 minutes ago, Matthews34 said:

I see the argument here. I would have liked the number to be 11 right on to match JT's if we were signing him to a shorter term. But I won't complain either way, on a 7-8 year deal we're paying Matthews 12.5-13 a year.

I was expecting 10.5-11 based off his recent injury history and shorter term. Guess we’ll see soon as this is just a projection.

Edited by Morrison7

7 minutes ago, Kulemin said:

5 years is trash for your best player and supposedly captain to be signing to.

its smart on Matthews part, shit for us.

McDavid signs 8, Eichel signs 8, MacKinnon signs 7, Ekblad signs 8, Matthews signs 5.

All those teams have not faced the cap crunch the Leafs are in right now. The 1.5M we save on going on a shorter term is 2/3rds of the 4th line. Him signing for 5 years doesn't mean he's walking after the 5 years.

He signs for 8 years and you're looking at 12.5M+ probably.  Creative cap management. Calling this a win/loss for either at this point before we even see what the other players numbers come in at is extremely premature.

11 minutes ago, Kulemin said:

5 years is trash for your best player and supposedly captain to be signing to.

its smart on Matthews part, shit for us.

McDavid signs 8, Eichel signs 8, MacKinnon signs 7, Ekblad signs 8, Matthews signs 5.

Crosby, Malkin, Toews and Kane all signed 5-year deals out of ELS. Tavares signed a 6-yr deal out of ELS. It's actually more common for young stars than not over the past decade

1) This actually is keeping cap hit down.

2) Term of last generation of entry level doesn't mean much.

3) This might suck in five years, OK, it will, but this is a good cap hit now.

4) It'd be real nice if Marner sees this and says "damn, let's just get this done" to his agent.

I'm thinking it'll be either 5x11 or 6x11.75.

I figure, we need to be mostly focused on (and probably very happy with) the prospect of 5 or 6 years of absolute dominance. If this deal is one of a few moves that helps us secure that, I'm all in. If it means we're able to get Marner locked in for 5+ years, I'm all in. If we walk away after 5 or 6 years, team needing to look at re-tooling, but a couple of rings (or even one) in hand....I'm in.

Edited by Morrison7