(A3) TOR 2
(M1) WSH 2
(WC1) CAR 1
(M2) NYI 4
(M3) PIT 0
Sign in to follow this  
LRFE

Leafs Sign Auston Matthews to 5 year $11.634 million Extension

I get that this is what he’s going to get for 5 years whether we like it or not, but this means mitch will likely get 10.5, and I just dont see how all the pieces fit and keep quality depth.

No team with a 10 million dollar player has won the cup, we’ll have 3.   

7 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

I get that this is what he’s going to get for 5 years whether we like it or not, but this means mitch will likely get 10.5, and I just dont see how all the pieces fit and keep quality depth.

Well every team is gonna have one pretty soon. So that’s a pretty dumb thing to say

16 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

And how many teams have been in a league where the cap was over 80M? Over 10M is alot, but a 10M contract back when any of the cup winners won their cup, it would be alot.

And just comparing with big names around the league, Crosbys was 13.5%, Ovechkin 16.8%, McDavid 16.6%, Toews/Kane 15.2%, Eichel at 13.3%.

If the cap is around 82-85M, Matthews cap hit will be between 13.7%-14.2%. Not too far above what Crosby/Eichels percentages were.

11.6M might seem like alot now, but we all know cap is going up every year, especially in a few years with new CBA, expansion money and new US TV deal. It'll for sure be over 90M in a few years.

Edited by majingir

2 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

He would have gotten more than McDavid if the term was longer, and he's definitely not worth more than him yet.

yea, he would’ve.  the problem is that mcdavid is in another class compared to matthews, its not like he’s slightly better. 

1 minute ago, loxcane said:

Well every team is gonna have one pretty soon. So that’s a pretty dumb thing to say

yea, they will eventually as the cap continues to rise.   still points to the fact that unbalanced teams with massive contracts past certain numbers havn’t been effective.   i get that this is in line with what we all think the market says it is,  i’m just worried that we aren’t getting advantages in any of these deals so far, and we havn’t won not one series yet.     the nylander wasn’t the worst deal, but it certainly wasn’t a great deal, and this seems to fall into the same category.   

but if we go through the cup winners of the past 5-6 years, i’d be curious to see how many of those teams’ superstars were on great deals.  i actually don’t know.   certainly pits & the caps fall under that, but it could that could be recency bias.     

1 minute ago, majingir said:

And how many teams have been in a league where the cap was over 80M?

And just comparing with big names around the league, Crosbys was 13.5%, Ovechkin 16.8%, McDavid 16.6%, Toews/Kane 15.2%, Eichel at 13.3%.

If the cap is around 82-85M, Matthews cap hit will be between 13.7%-14.2%. Not too far above what Crosby/Eichels percentages were.

11.6M might seem like alot now, but we all know cap is going up every year, especially in a few years with new CBA, expansion money and new US TV deal. It'll for sure b over 90M in a few years.

crosbys cups only happened when his deal had lowered as a percentage significantly.