Sign in to follow this  
LRFE

Leafs Sign Auston Matthews to 5 year $11.634 million Extension

I like it Matthews is basically getting paid to be the future Captain of the team, Marner now can be had for close to Matthews salary somewhere between 10-11 mill per year for about 6,7,8 years or goes 8-9 for 3 years without affecting his RFA status ( not buying UFA years ). This is basically writing the current UFA's off the team including Gards and Brown.

5 more years of Matthews is a great thing.

It shows one of the new elites also sees this window of a team that should be able to be competitive for all the shiny things.

Cannot really see mitch being super greedy (his agent might be and that is his job but...) knowing the first round overall pick is staying and knowing Mitch loves it here I still feel Mitch will work out a contract that helps keep the core together and will sign before any team can make him an offer sheet.

This signing today is just another step of keeping the main branches on this family tree together.  Leaf land should be happy and not get panic struck.  If anything, Dubas is a number guy,...and so we have to trust that in this 5-6 years even if we have to adjust some future contracts like Kappy and Johnsson, they too might just be willing to do a fair contract in order to stick with this team.

Maybe there is no i in team, but at least we have the am part of it covered. 

Edited by Danny

2 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Those Zaitsev, Brown, and Marleau contracts are so awesome! Ugh Lou was the best!!! 

Brown is still easily moveable. And Marleau is only owed 1.5M in salary in his final year(after signing bonus). Zaitsevs might not be ideal, but the other 2 are moveable (in Marleaus case, if he wants to go back to SJ, he'll go)

8 minutes ago, majingir said:

Brown is still easily moveable. And Marleau is only owed 1.5M in salary in his final year(after signing bonus). Zaitsevs might not be ideal, but the other 2 are moveable (in Marleaus case, if he wants to go back to SJ, he'll go)

2.1M for a bottom six forward with good possession numbers and cement hands sounds like a great selling point, I’m sure.

We’re not talking about a bunch of players on anchor contracts here either. Everyone on this team can be moved, almost all without having to eat shit to do, and most would warrant a massive return. So our assets are in control and under reasonable terms, and for the next 2-3 years, we’re not even in cap trouble.

Funny everyone not being realistic thinks we are gonna be in cap hell but in reality when the cap reaches closer to 100 Million in 5 years this cap hit from Matthews will look like Crosby's current deal. So i am taking this as a 5 year window that the Leafs have to do something positive going forward. Marner and Kapanen will put us closer to cap limits but we will have relief coming up every year in the 5 years moving forward.

I love JT and Muzzin, but he's dishing out some serious coin. Just like the other JT, Justin Turdeau. Nylander= paid top dollar Mathews= top dollar Marner= I'm afraid to ask...  I was just hoping for these kids to take a bit of a discount to maintain the team. They obviously are not buying into that though.

Fantastic.

No lose situation. If Matthews plays lights out and earns a massive jump in his 3rd contract, that is unbelievably great....if he has issues, his 3rd contract will be at a reduced price.

But anyway you slice this, you are going to get the best years of Matthews career at a manageable price. And hopefully at a discount to what he is really worth. 

52 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

2.1M for a bottom six forward with good possession numbers and cement hands sounds like a great selling point, I’m sure.

That's not quite fair though... He's having a bad year offensively, but he had 14 goals last year and 20 the year before. I don't think 2.1 million was really all that out of line. With how he's playing this year, sure, but there was no way of knowing his offense would dry up so badly. He had been productive in the AHL and juniors as well. I don't remember anyone complaining when his contract was signed. It's just one of those hindsight things.

I actually made a joke to my brother (an Oilers fan) that they should trade him to the Oilers.... his 5 goals would be 2nd amongst their wingers and he played with McDavid in junior... maybe they're buddies? The more I think about it, maybe it isn't a joke... could make sense!

2 hours ago, Armster said:

That .34 at the end had to have something to do with his jersey number.

Leafs sign Auston Matthews to a 5 year deal. He’ll be getting 11.634M per year. Think about this:

1st overall pick (1) in 2016 (16) and wears number 34 (34)

Simple maths!

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Leafs sign Auston Matthews to a 5 year deal. He’ll be getting 11.634M per year. Think about this:

1st overall pick (1) in 2016 (16) and wears number 34 (34)

Simple maths!

Best conspiracy theory ever but that does look eerily correct i think Matthews planned that number.

30 minutes ago, nodoubtabouter said:

I love JT and Muzzin, but he's dishing out some serious coin. Just like the other JT, Justin Turdeau. Nylander= paid top dollar Mathews= top dollar Marner= I'm afraid to ask...  I was just hoping for these kids to take a bit of a discount to maintain the team. They obviously are not buying into that though.

Matthews could have easily signed for more term with a significantly higher AAV but he didn’t. Is 6.9M for Nylander, who had  122 points in 163 games - really top dollar though? 

Edited by Morrison7