(A3) TOR 2
(M1) WSH 2
(WC1) CAR 1
(M2) NYI 4
(M3) PIT 0
Sign in to follow this  
LRFE

Leafs Sign Auston Matthews to 5 year $11.634 million Extension

I would have preferred $11m for the term, but glad he's signed for another 5 years after this one. The Leafs have an embarrassment of riches with young talent right now and we can't expect them all to sign for 7 or 8 years with the current cap. Fans don't realize how lucky we were to draft AM first overall. For f*%k sake, we have Tavares and Matthews locked up long-term... we've been screaming for a 1st line center for years and now we have two of the best. We're not doing too bad.

Edited by CognitiveBias

10 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

Best conspiracy theory ever but that does look eerily correct i think Matthews planned that number.

so we can expect Mitch to push for these numbers lol

41516 times an 8 year contract =

3 hours ago, Kulemin said:

5 years is trash for your best player and supposedly captain to be signing to.

its smart on Matthews part, shit for us.

McDavid signs 8, Eichel signs 8, MacKinnon signs 7, Ekblad signs 8, Matthews signs 5.

Nothing wrong with a 6 year window for winning a cup or two or three.

It's the Marleau contract that good ol' Lou stuck us with that makes all of this harder on Dubas. At his age and that price, it should have been 2 years, not 3.

I love Marleau, but his production is declining and I'm not sure what we're going to get next year.

Edited by CognitiveBias

1 hour ago, Anger Management said:

Funny everyone not being realistic thinks we are gonna be in cap hell but in reality when the cap reaches closer to 100 Million in 5 years this cap hit from Matthews will look like Crosby's current deal. So i am taking this as a 5 year window that the Leafs have to do something positive going forward. Marner and Kapanen will put us closer to cap limits but we will have relief coming up every year in the 5 years moving forward.

well... how will the deal look great in 5 years, when the deal is done in 5 years?

As mentioned before, most of Matthews salary is in signing bonuses. Frontloaded as well. Base salary every year is between 700-750k. NMC in final year of deal.

2 minutes ago, CognitiveBias said:

It's the Marleau contract that good ol' Lou stuck us with that makes all of this harder on Dubas. At his age and that price, it should have been 2 years, not 3.

I love Marleau, but his production is declining and I'm not sure what we're going to get next year.

I'm under the impression they structured his deal the way they did on purpose. Only making 1.5M after his signing bonus in his final year? That just seems like they set it up for him to return to SJ at the end. 

1 minute ago, Pai Mei said:

well... how will the deal look great in 5 years, when the deal is done in 5 years?

Even before then it'll be a great deal. Cap over 85M before his 2nd season of this contract. 90M probably happens in year 3, 4 for latest.

6 minutes ago, CognitiveBias said:

SJ apparently has interest for having him back for one final year. They could easily afford him if the Leafs either retain some, or SJ rids themselves of their more expensive depth players. Guys like Donskoi, Dillon, Braun, and Melker Karlsson would likely be dealt.

6 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

well maybe we can bring hainsey back next year for 1.5.    ship zaits out for future considerations.   gards walks.  

it’ll be tight, but i trust the shanaplan even if i have reservations.

Or sign Oz for 1M and let Hainsey ride off into the sunset like he should.

18 minutes ago, majingir said:

As mentioned before, most of Matthews salary is in signing bonuses. Frontloaded as well. Base salary every year is between 700-750k. NMC in final year of deal.

I'm under the impression they structured his deal the way they did on purpose. Only making 1.5M after his signing bonus in his final year? That just seems like they set it up for him to return to SJ at the end. 

Even before then it'll be a great deal. Cap over 85M before his 2nd season of this contract. 90M probably happens in year 3, 4 for latest.

I get Marleau is only making 1.5 million in salary but his cap hit is still 6 million which is a lot to take on for any contender for Marleaus production nowadays.

20 minutes ago, TuckerIntensity said:

Pittsburgh has managed pretty well with multiple guys with high cap hits. 

what?

Malkin and Crosby have $9.5 and $8.7 respectively. The Next two will have $7.2 and $6.8

The leafs have $11.6 and $11.5 and soon to be $10+  and $7 million and they still need to sign Kapanen and Johnsson

58 minutes ago, Armster said:

Percentages please at time of signing. Absolute values mean sfa.

Irrelevant....these numbers are being used against today's cap.

What you are implying is, Pittsburg has low salary's which is what I am saying. Toronto will have the highest concentration of salary in the top 4  players in the NHL next year, and that's if they manage to punt Marleau, if not it will be $11.6, $11, Say $10.5, $6.9 and $6.5 =$46.5 million. That's way to much.

Dubas has potentially painted himself into a corner with these 4 signings....especially with the soft NTC he gave Willy

3 minutes ago, uteck said:

Irrelevant....these numbers are being used against today's cap.

What you are implying is, Pittsburg has low salary's which is what I am saying. Toronto will have the highest concentration of salary in the top 4  players in the NHL next year, and that's if they manage to punt Marleau, if not it will be $11.6, $11, Say $10.5, $6.9 and $6.5 =$46.5 million. That's way to much.

Dubas has potentially painted himself into a corner with these 4 signings....especially with the soft NTC he gave Willy

That NTC is only for the last year of his contract. Saying shit about not trading him to the media means fuck all, ask Bergevin about that.