Sign in to follow this  
ShanaplanMan

When is the Right Time to Name the Next Leafs Captain and Who Should it Be?

5 minutes ago, ShanaplanMan said:

Distraction? These are professionals not kids we need to coddle.

To me it's team direction not distraction.

You solve that shit in the off season or you wait. It's a distraction any other time of year when they should just worry about playing the game and not have 2/3 of the Big 3 (give or take your views on Marner) have to talk about it non-stop in the first round.

If we had 1 guy, sure, fire away...but we don't. Let them talk it out when they have nothing else to worry about. 

Fuck that noise. 

Edited by HBCYG

Obviously Tavares is a great choice for captain, but so is Reilly and so is Matthews.

I think it would be we'll served to make Matthews the captain in the summer. My reason for this choice is the 5 year deal he just signed. 5 years can go by in a hurry and this would be another string to tie to Matthews to keep him here long term.

Tavares on the other hand is already committed long term.

As far as actually fillimg the role of captain any of those 3 are more than capable and worthy.

No problems are the best problems, but after seeing many years of bad problems... it's nice to have a couple good ones.

Also, fuck this captain nonsense until the summer at least. There's more important areas to focus on right now.

Edited by Morrison7

Is this even a discussion anywhere else? Like, the media talks about everything Leafs and I haven't seen anything on "OMG, they don't have a captain, they should name one now."

Matthews hasn't put this team in his back so he doesn't deserve it? What? He's basically even with Tavares in G/G and better P/G all while not playing regularly with a guy near Marner's ability. None of these are reasons for or against being captain, though, only to say even if they were, the argument is still ridiculous.

Actually, I'm just renewing a discussion that's been around since... Tavares got signed.

Commented on by a retired former Leaf even...

I just gave it new life as the regular season starts to wind down.

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-should-be-next-toronto-maple-leafs-captain-rick-vaive/c-299420678

1 minute ago, HBCYG said:

It's not. As usual, instead of just acknowledging that he wanted to rightfully compliment Tavares on his play this year but took it a little too far, Todd has doubled down on a grand claim because he struggles with criticism. 

and distraction

lol

seriously though, this team has not even been distracted by who the captain should be. They are plugging away at individual games/shifts to work hard as individuals as well trying to be good teammates for a bigger goal rather than being distracted by who should be captain this year to hoist the cup first.

How bout we hoist the cup first then choose a captain after the year is over and go into the next season with a letter C on a sweater.

The logo was made bigger for a reason.

6 minutes ago, HBCYG said:

Note, thread title change right on queue. 

Btw, as mentioned, in the offseason. When they have less important things to worry about. Thx

The thread title change didn't happen by me at 1st. Look at edit reason.

My thread title didn't name any names originally, and it doesn't again.

1 minute ago, ShanaplanMan said:

Actually, I'm just renewing a discussion that's been around since... Tavares got signed.

Commented on by a retired former Leaf even...

I just gave it new life as the regular season starts to wind down.

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-should-be-next-toronto-maple-leafs-captain-rick-vaive/c-299420678

Ha...

Like I was saying...

2 minutes ago, ShanaplanMan said:

Didn't say it was. Thanks. 

It didn't say anyone...it was just heavily endorsed in OP with ham-fisted ideas. Per usual

Edited by HBCYG

4 minutes ago, ShanaplanMan said:

The title was changed to promote discussion. We get some and you're still upset. Holy fuck dude, it was intended to help your threes generate actual discussion and not more "fuck, Todd is a tool." 

Further, the thread was always designed for you to anoint Tavares captain, and apparently king of Toronto, you can't help yourself even when people try to help you out.

2 minutes ago, ShanaplanMan said:

Oh look. Here it is popping up again much more recently...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4796155/rick-zamperin-next-captain-maple-leafs-3-horse-race/

That definitely says they have to name a captain by the time the playoffs start.

1 minute ago, TuckerIntensity said:

The title was changed to promote discussion. We get some and you're still upset. Holy fuck dude, it was intended to help your threes generate actual discussion and not more "fuck, Todd is a tool." 

Further, the thread was always designed for you to anoint Tavares captain, and apparently king of Toronto, you can't help yourself even when people try to help you out.

My pick for pony isn't the only pony, thanks.

My opinion is as valid as anyone else's in the thread.

Most people tend to back up and defend their opinions as best they can. That's just human nature. Doesn't mean an opinion can't be changed.

Unfortunately you being a perpetual dick remains as rigid as ever. :(

10 minutes ago, HBCYG said:

That definitely says they have to name a captain by the time the playoffs start.

My opinion is that it would as appropriate a time as any to name one.

Would anyone here actually think management royally fucked up if it did happen then?

A named Leafs captain, whoever is chosen, to lead us into playoffs?

Edited by ShanaplanMan

1 minute ago, ShanaplanMan said:

My opinion is that it would as appropriate a time as any to name one.

Would anyone here actually think management royally fucked up if it did happen then?

A named Leafs captain, whoever is chosen, to lead us into playoffs?

And no one else thinks it's a good idea...not even your back up articles really put a timeline for it having to be done.

Notice the team themselves hasn't so much as hinted at it being an issue right now?

Save it until the offseason.

7 minutes ago, HBCYG said:

And no one else thinks it's a good idea...not even your back up articles really put a timeline for it having to be done.

Notice the team themselves hasn't so much as hinted at it being an issue right now?

Save it until the offseason.

C'mon we all know the team won't speak a word of it until the captain of is named... or not.

Nice duck though.

10 minutes ago, ShanaplanMan said:

C'mon we all know the team won't speak a word of it until the captain of is named... or not.

Nice duck though.

They also aren't idiots and didn't rush into naming a captain last offseason when they still had all of these same players because it's not the biggest issue still. 

But go ahead and search for another article to try and justify your confirmation bias now 

The point is...it's not worth the story to anyone right now to name a captain that quick so why bother making it one? The leaders we have are going to lead either way.

Edited by HBCYG

4 minutes ago, HBCYG said:

They also aren't idiots and didn't rush into naming a captain last offseason when they still had all of these same players because it's not the biggest issue still. 

But go ahead and search for another article to try and justify your confirmation bias now 

The point is...it's not worth the story to anyone right now to name a captain. 

You're right about that. I said myself it should wait until at least April, Lol.

Still personally think Tavares is the best choice when it does happen but I exactly be throwing fits if another candidate is chosen by management.

I know it isn't gonna be based on a fan popularity contest when it does happen. ;)

Just now, ShanaplanMan said:

You're right about that. I said myself it should wait until at least April, Lol.

Still personally think Tavares is the best choice when it does happen but I exactly be throwing fits if another candidate is chosen by management.

I know it isn't gonna be based on a fan popularity contest when it does happen. ;)

No shit

People will be fine with who they choose. But that's also why it should wait until next year.