Sign in to follow this  
ShanaplanMan

When is the Right Time to Name the Next Leafs Captain and Who Should it Be?

4 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

Why should a letter dictate that though? This discussion is only happening right now because Todd got excited last night.

Win now, save the letters for the summer.

Doesn’t have to.. If it’s an issue in the room then address it, if not idc 

Holy shit I just read all this, was wondering what I was missing...

good lord... the playoffs aren’t considered part of the season any more? 

@todd 

The league works in years, the 2018-19 season encompasses all hockey played between oct 1 and the awarding of the Stanley cup. The off season that follows the cup is part of the following season, according to CBA (year end is June 30, which is why UFA starts July 1).

Off-season (draft, free agency, training can)

Regular season (82 game schedule)

Post season (playoffs)

The playoffs aren’t some ethereal thing that vanish from our memory when they are over...

6 minutes ago, Jhator said:

The playoffs aren’t some ethereal thing that vanish from our memory when they are over...

Although there have been times this could be a useful skill. Not just Leafs related either.

15 hours ago, Jhator said:

you just need to get hit by a car then that is a handy superpower you get.

Ive always wanted the mental power to cause people to shit their pants. That would be handy and a great source of entertainment.

1 hour ago, Jhator said:

Isn’t that assault 

I’d say it depends who you plan on giving it to.   If you’re choosing Reilly I say you can do it now because it’s pretty obvious the team would be fine with that and reilly wouldn’t cave under the captaincy.   you could wait for the off-season, but reilly i believe could do it now and no one would bat an eye.   the only time you wouldnt do it is on the eve of the playoffs... that might be the dumbest idea ever.

if you’re giving it to tavares you wait for him to get more time under his belt with this team.  I think he’d be a fine choice, just not this early since he’s stepping into an already established team. 

if you’re giving it to matthews then you wait until he’s ready.  currently he clearly isn’t.  anytime he forces his play he fails badly, disappears, etc.   he doesn’t take the team on his back and he has yet to show up in the playoffs.   he needs more time before becoming captain.  

if you’re giving it to marner, he also needs more time.   you can look simply to the unprofessionalism shown by first his father, and then his agents, that while he may be able to drive on-ice play for the team, he doesn’t command fuck all off of it.  plus, just watch his interview the day after, that is still a child.