(A3) TOR 2
(M1) WSH 2
(WC1) CAR 2
(M2) NYI 4
(M3) PIT 0
Sign in to follow this  
majingir

Laptop

I'm looking at getting a new laptop since the one I have now is slowly starting to show signs of aging (I've had it several years). It is a decent laptop though, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, 2.67GHz Intel i5 Dual processor.

I've been told to look at getting a quad processor instead of a dual one. My current laptop like I mentioned is a dual processor and 2.67GHz. I've seen some Quad processors on laptops under 2GHz. So is it worth getting quad over dual?

RAM wise, I've thought about possibly just getting a 4GB one and upgrading to 8GB. Similarly with the hard drive as well. I've thought about getting one with a HDD and just installing a 500GB SSD instead because I've heard SSDs are faster/better than HDD. Assuming of course it's easy enough to just replace the hard drive?

I was told to look at brands like Lenovo,HP and Dell, but don't look at Asus. Are there any others I should/shouldn't look at?

This is one of the laptops I've been looking at: (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, although it does have Intel Celeron processor which I read isn't one of the best to get)
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAJCX8ET0940&ignorebbr=1

This on other hand has a AMD A12-9720P processor, but instead of 512GB SSD it has 1TB HDD:
https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-320-15ABR-Widescreen-Backlight-A12-9720P/dp/B075WDDXTH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lenovo+320+amd&qid=1550101293&s=electronics&sr=1-3

So would it be worth getting a better processor and worse hard drive, or worse processor and better hard drive? Or perhaps if it's possible/easy, get the better processor laptop and just replace the 1TB HDD with a 500GB SSD?

This is the SSD I've been looking at:

https://www.amazon.ca/Upgrade-Oyunkey-Internal-Notebook-Pro-512gb)/dp/B07FN6ZPZP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1HLYYPNAX24YP&keywords=internal+ssd+drive&qid=1550101948&refinements=p_72%3A11192170011%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A7329969011&rnid=7329964011&s=electronics&sprefix=internal+ssd%2Caps%2C291&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Did you ever decide. Processor (and ram)  is the way to go. Hard drives are cheap as  hell and most everything is stored on the cloud  anyway. 

As far as  we know, you just need this to run an endless amount of spreadsheets for stat tracking and streams so you're gonna want the one that has more juice to it.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:35 AM, HBCYG said:

Did you ever decide. Processor (and ram)  is the way to go. Hard drives are cheap as  hell and most everything is stored on the cloud  anyway. 

As far as  we know, you just need this to run an endless amount of spreadsheets for stat tracking and streams so you're gonna want the one that has more juice to it.

I decided to just hold off for time being. Might get one come summertime. I've been thinking recently about getting a 2 in 1 instead so I could use it like a tablet since I already use my tablet on average more than laptop.

Quad processor, 8gb RAM and 1080p resolution are minimum requirements I've looked at. 

16 minutes ago, majingir said:

I decided to just hold off for time being. Might get one come summertime. I've been thinking recently about getting a 2 in 1 instead so I could use it like a tablet since I already use my tablet on average more than laptop.

Quad processor, 8gb RAM and 1080p resolution are minimum requirements I've looked at. 

i got a touchscreen laptop and it was not worth it. just wasted extra money on a feature i only use to zoom in on pictures. don't get a Dell either, this piece of shit blows

42 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

i got a touchscreen laptop and it was not worth it. just wasted extra money on a feature i only use to zoom in on pictures. don't get a Dell either, this piece of shit blows

Touchscreen is diff from 2 in 1 isn't it? 

I've seen stuff advertised as touchscreen and others as 2 in 1.

Edited by majingir

I was just going by what I saw on sites in the past. They made it look like there's touchscreen laptops which are just regular laptops with touchscreen feature, and others which can be used like tablets where the screen can be turned around or used without physical keyboard, perhaps even lighter than the other laptops. 

I'm guessing the first was just an older kind of 2 in 1 laptops? 

Either way, I'll just go for the 2 in 1 in the summer. 

17 hours ago, majingir said:

Touchscreen is diff from 2 in 1 isn't it? 

I've seen stuff advertised as touchscreen and others as 2 in 1.

Mines a 2 in 1. I can fold the screen over. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve used that feature. It’s incredibly gimmicky. If you already have a tablet, skip the touchscreen shit, especially if it costs extra for that. 

Just get a macbook. I’ve had mine for 10 years this summer. I replaced the hard drive and battery, upgraded the ram. It’s a beast now. So much better and faster than my piece of shit Dell