Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Game 69:Bolts vrs Leafs

I’m surprised that this shit doesn’t happen more often, to be honest.

Not to stereotype all athletes, but you’ve got a lot of jocks put in high pressure situations, trying to get under other jocks’ skin. I’m surprised we don’t hear more racial or homophobic slurs, or mysoginistic shit about mothers, sisters, wives and girlfriends.

I mean, a lot of these guys do stuff that they know is wrong (hitting from behind, dangerous slashes, head shots), so how would I be shocked if I found out that someone commented on race/sexual orientation?

I guess it’s drilled into them by management that you can’t say those things, but I’m surprised that, for the most part, that works.

Edited by canadaguy

It's not acceptable and I'm not thrilled it was Rielly. In the CHL you would get eight games for this. I'm not suggesting that's what he should get or am I dismissing the heat of the moment aspect to it, he probably regretted it as soon as he said it, but it's unacceptable.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I thought the punishment on Getzlaf was light, if Rielly said what it looks like he did, he should have to sit.

1 hour ago, TuckerIntensity said:

Because he said it.

If so, Leafs should add a few games on top of whatever the NHL decides for games. 

Also wtf ref? You stared him right in the face and let him call you a fag without even throwing him out of the game??

3 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

all the snow flakes of the world are melting.

sticks and stones,

get over it.

This is more than just a get over it issue.

This is a barrier seen by a lot of people in sports. For all the gay kids that are scared to come out to their hockey team seeing a pro say this just adds to that doubt in their head. It has no place in hockey, sports or our society. It is no different than dropping the N word. 

If Rielly said it, which I now doubt he should and will be suspended. I agree in saying that the leafs should add another game or two if it was him. 

2 minutes ago, Kulemin said:

This is more than just a get over it issue.

This is a barrier seen by a lot of people in sports. For all the gay kids that are scared to come out to their hockey team seeing a pro say this just adds to that doubt in their head. It has no place in hockey, sports or our society. It is no different than dropping the N word. 

If Rielly said it, which I now doubt he should and will be suspended. I agree in saying that the leafs should add another game or two if it was him. 

If you're too scared to play hockey, then you shouldn't be playing hockey. 

Go knit a sweater or something.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/leafs-fan-does-forensic-investigation-of-rielly-audio-finds-him-not-guilty-of-calling-referee-a-f-cking-f-ggot

1) After giving it a long listen, I am convinced that Rielly did not say "Fucking F****t" on the ice, and what was heard was two separate voices: One that says “Fuck” and another that says “Rag it”. I believe the first to be Rielly’s and the second from someone from the TB bench

Saying rag it might even be offensible considering it was women's day. lol

anyways this HUGE distraction should not make the team feel like they played a good game and glad I could hear the rag it, comment rather than Morgan saying what some thought (me too at first) but this now seems like a non issue.

13 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

If you're too scared to play hockey, then you shouldn't be playing hockey. 

Go knit a sweater or something.

You know we’re also speaking about kids getting into the game. You expect a kid to be able to handle a whole locker room full of other kids picking on them for that? Have some decency here.

Even when we’re not talking about kids. It’s difficult to break that barrier. 

Reevaluate yourself 

rag-the-puck. (ice hockey) To retain possession of the puck by skillful skating and stickhandling without attempting to score, as a deliberate tactic intended to use up time. (chiefly Canada, by extension) To proceed slowly at an activity in order to use up time; to stall for time.

Just now, Danny said:
rag-the-puck. (ice hockey) To retain possession of the puck by skillful skating and stickhandling without attempting to score, as a deliberate tactic intended to use up time. (chiefly Canada, by extension) To proceed slowly at an activity in order to use up time; to stall for time.

Which Gourde executed perfectly to a tee, given the PK. Not a common term evidently, but it exists.