Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Game 69:Bolts vrs Leafs

1 minute ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

No I said the snowflakes of the world. Unless that's a code word for gays, which I'm not aware of, then you are assuming.

so the follow up on that is that if gays want to play hockey, they need to sign off on being called “fucking faggots,” otherwise hockey “isn’t for everyone.”   

you argue from the point of view that they arent already IN hockey, or hockey fans, and so the only people that might be offended would be random “normal” people who are just attention seeking and too easily offended.  

2 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

Stuff like that can be handled internally not by some PC culture crazed maniacs on the web.

So which people here exactly are the ‘pc culture crazed maniacs’?  

or is that just a general statement targeted at literally no one, and therefore has zero value?  

1 minute ago, Pai Mei said:

So which people here exactly are the ‘pc culture crazed maniacs’?  

or is that just a general statement targeted at literally no one, and therefore has zero value?  

You have zero value, you know just cause i am talking to you on this forum doesn't mean that i am talking about you but i have read your posts and based on your lifestyle/opinions you are more into correcting peoples thoughts on certain subjects. And Faggot/Fag means something entirely different in British culture so there is that.

We’re Canadian AM, not Brittish, and in Canada that word is universally understood as a homophobic slur, so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make.  Which Brittish players are playing in the NHL?

I only correct people’s thoughts when I think they’re wrong - you don’t see me running around the forum and arguing every topic that I know nothing about - not doing so, is called being a coward because you don’t want to be disliked when you know someone is wrong.

9 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

I wonder if TML will go over anti-discrimination policies with their employees, which includes speech from their employees, due to living in the current year.  

Guess that wasn’t your first thought to address any possible problem, weird.

If Rielly didn't say it, then it's not absolutely necessary to do this. However, since it has become a big story, it would be a good idea to go over their stance on this, even if he didn't say it.

If Rielly did say it, I hope it was an error in judgement on his part. I know that people (especially in a macho sports setting) use words like this and "retarded" without really thinking about the meaning behind those words and someone who is not fundamentally a homophobe could say this. That still doesn't make it right, as it is insensitive and athletes being paid millions of dollars should be smarter/more disciplined than to use slurs like this. Having said that... there are a lot of people out there that use the word intending it with the exact literal meaning. Best way to avoid confusion between the two is to not use it at all. Kind of like McTavish with his "it was a retarded call" comment. Did he intend it to be a slur about people with a mental handicap? Probably not... but it was still an incredibly stupid thing to say.

2 minutes ago, canadaguy said:

If Rielly didn't say it, then it's not absolutely necessary to do this. However, since it has become a big story, it would be a good idea to go over their stance on this, even if he didn't say it.

If Rielly did say it, I hope it was an error in judgement on his part. I know that people (especially in a macho sports setting) use words like this and "retarded" without really thinking about the meaning behind those words and someone who is not fundamentally a homophobe could say this. That still doesn't make it right, as it is insensitive and athletes being paid millions of dollars should be smarter/more disciplined than to use slurs like this. Having said that... there are a lot of people out there that use the word intending it with the exact literal meaning. Best way to avoid confusion between the two is to not use it at all. Kind of like McTavish with his "it was a retarded call" comment. Did he intend it to be a slur about people with a mental handicap? Probably not... but it was still an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Agreed, but my post was tongue in cheek.

I am just saying...while i agree racial and homophobic comments have no place in sports especially televised sports, the general public shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill.  That issue we heard at the game was obviously not the one everyone on social media and news media had made it out to be.  Everyone is out to try and get everyone fired/fined/suspended/jailed/castrated over everything that doesn't go their way.

5 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

I am just saying...while i agree racial and homophobic comments have no place in sports especially televised sports, the general public shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill.  That issue we heard at the game was obviously not the one everyone on social media and news media had made it out to be.  Everyone is out to try and get everyone fired/fined/suspended/jailed/castrated over everything that doesn't go their way.

You’re held to a higher standard as a professional athlete given you’re in the public spotlight all the time. Rielly allegedly at the time said a homophobic slur. Of course the general public was going to react negatively, you said yourself that racist and homophobic comments have no place in sports. Come on man.

7 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

You’re held to a higher standard as a professional athlete given you’re in the public spotlight all the time. Rielly allegedly at the time said a homophobic slur. Of course the general public was going to react negatively, you said yourself that racist and homophobic comments have no place in sports. Come on man.

If Morgan chose to do so he could sue every single slander liable riddled posts/videos put out on the interwebs. Is that correct @King of Dick Mountain?

40 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

Why is this not surprising?  lol 

1 hour ago, Pai Mei said:

so the follow up on that is that if gays want to play hockey, they need to sign off on being called “fucking faggots,” otherwise hockey “isn’t for everyone.”   

you argue from the point of view that they arent already IN hockey, or hockey fans, and so the only people that might be offended would be random “normal” people who are just attention seeking and too easily offended.  

You're focusing on the gay aspect and I'm not.

I haven't referenced gays or races in any of my comments.

You, and some other posters are more than happy to put words in my mouth to forward their personal opinions/agenda.

1 hour ago, TuckerIntensity said:

As I said already, what I'd say to Rielly/Dubas if I was in a position to say something is that regardless of who said, or didn't say,  what it sounds like was said, the situation isn't great and how can we use it to be better?

Something like say...

Dubas: " ... arguing over whether it was said or not said in this facility last night, even the thought that it might've been said is enough for everybody in the room to do their part & confront the matter."

10 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Well, yes. Or at least whoever made/published them.

It's also true that I am a British and I take great pains to not accidentally use 'fag' over here.

Ya i guess "I am gonna go outside and have a fag" wouldn't go so well for ya LOL. 

AM would rather continue to call his smoke break a fag break instead of understanding and doing his small parr so he doesn't feel like the snowflakes are bringing him down.

We know how this goes.  Best to just leave it alone lest another thread/issue become all about AM. Which is the way he likes it.

I feel Dubas and Morgan did handle this in a good manner taking it to the TML stage and realising what TI's point was and reassure communities that we have a safe and accommodating place, setting and environment for all.

lol I know I panicked a bit in fear for Morgan,..but now think he is totally back on track for being considered captain material, norris  ect,.... and this stage even gave him a learning curve and the way he handled it was nothing but honest with integrity.

I know in the past  I myself have used derogatory statements and accepted my own neanderthal way of thinking when it came to sensitive issues that are still present but it takes a stage like this to realize that more and more humans are collectively coming together and making sure racial slurs are not accepted or should be.

The one thing that I disliked was our effort last night and no excuses can be heard for our dismal showing. In hindsight, that ended up being the most embarrassing thing that happened last night.