Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tbnl

GDT: Leafs host Hawks: Don't Panic Edition

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, GeneralT001 said:

Andersen was not stellar tonight or last game. It seems hes often just too "not into" the game? Looks way too complacent often? Anyway its was dog ugly except for the ending - why oh why oh why can't they play like that for 60 minutes?

Pfft...he ain't flopping around hes letting shit in above his shoulder. How many times did our scoring save the day??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Not sure if you've ever played hockey, or coached, but it takes a lot more than watching a video to create good habits and remove bad habits that may have been in a players game for most of his life.

This is not easy or quick.

I didnt expect Babcock to say we're working on the issues after 5-6 games in the season and then have it all figured out and having the team play flawless for the rest of the season. I'm just saying I still see the exact same errors that we saw in game 1. And i'm also aware that you can't coach making a player play with heart. Them not showing up at puck drop after the beat down by Tampa, is on the players mostly. Which brings me back to thinking the current coach might not be the right one for the group, but that is too early to tell. Let's see how the play offs go first before that should be a topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Not sure if you've ever played hockey, or coached, but it takes a lot more than watching a video to create good habits and remove bad habits that may have been in a players game for most of his life.

This is not easy or quick.

It doesn't take "good habits or bad habits" it takes a desire to win. These guys just don't seem to have it until the point where the games an out and out embarrassment - then they start playing - and of course its usually too late by then. Seems other teams have more of a self pride - something the Leafs seem to lack. Just give me my millions and if your lucky I'll show up for the game - talking generalities here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brocto said:

I didnt expect Babcock to say we're working on the issues after 5-6 games in the season and then have it all figured out and having the team play flawless for the rest of the season. I'm just saying I still see the exact same errors that we saw in game 1. And i'm also aware that you can't coach making a player play with heart. Them not showing up at puck drop after the beat down by Tampa, is on the players mostly. Which brings me back to thinking the current coach might not be the right one for the group, but that is too early to tell. Let's see how the play offs go first before that should be a topic.

I've worked with players over multiple seasons to correct bad habits. It's not that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GeneralT001 said:

It doesn't take "good habits or bad habits" it takes a desire to win. These guys just don't seem to have it until the point where the games an out and out embarrassment - then they start playing - and of course its usually too late by then. Seems other teams have more of a self pride - something the Leafs seem to lack. Just give me my millions and if your lucky I'll show up for the game - talking generalities here.

This is pure nonsense and not even worthy of a reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No desire to win... yet they’re 5th in the entire NHL and they were extremely close to overcoming a 5 goal deficit last night. Most teams usually give up at that point.

Talk about blowing smoke out of your ass.

Edited by Morrison7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the roster is currently set up, this team isn't yet built for a long playoff run. Their defence is too inconsistent.

 

They only thing that could overcome inconsistent defence is out of this world goaltending for the entire playoffs....like Tim Thomas and Jonathan Quick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

I've worked with players over multiple seasons to correct bad habits. It's not that easy.

I guess that’s why you’re not an NHL coah? And again, never stated it was easy or something that is expected to be fixed over night. Just saying it’s 70 games in and if anything it’s worse?

 

Fatigue plays a role.. but oh boy... just wait till play offs start...

 

also, better have this ‘down period’ now than come play off time... so again, much will be decided after the play off games vs Boston.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King of Dick Mountain said:

For context, out of 23 goalies to have played at least four games in the postseason since 2016-2017, Andersen ranks 19th in Sv. % and 20th in GAA. 

True, but when Tim Thomas  was Freddie's age, he was an AHL goalie....so things CAN change....obviously not to be counted on, nor expected....but possible.

 

My suggestion would be to significantly shore up the defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, canadaguy said:

Lightning fans also want to win the cup. Should Cooper be fired? Capitals fans wanted a cup. Would have been easy to call for Ovi to be traded... he wasn’t a winner. 

It’s tough being at or near the top. Just look objectively. The Leafs are one of the best teams in the league. Are they good enough to win the cup yet? Probably not, but we’ll see. Neither were the Capitals for over a decade of Ovi. If the Lightning don’t win this year, what is the narrative on them?

I get that it sucks seeing incomplete performances from the Leafs... but they’re doing something better than 80% of the teams in the league.

Make a compelling argument why any single team in the league will win the cup and I’m sure there will be an argument against it.

At least the Leafs are in the conversation.

If they have to wait as long as the Caps to win a Cup, I’m fine with that as long as they have competitive hockey in the playoffs every year. Can’t bite the hands that feed us, having been out of the playoffs for such a long time. First year with Matthews, Freddy, Marner, Nylander, they made the playoffs, so it’s going to take some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

If they have to wait as long as the Caps to win a Cup, I’m fine with that as long as they have competitive hockey in the playoffs every year. Can’t bite the hands that feed us, having been out of the playoffs for such a long time. First year with Matthews, Freddy, Marner, Nylander, they made the playoffs, so it’s going to take some time.

Big exception was the Leafs blew up their cap situation before they won anything.

 

Tavares $11.

Matthews $11.5

Marner $fuckinghugenumber

Nylander $7million

Freddy $5million

Rielly  $5 million

Kadri $4.5 million

Zaitsev $4.5 million

 

and they have to re-sign Johnsson and Kapanen.

 

That is tall order for any GM to get out from underneath

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, uteck said:

Big exception was the Leafs blew up their cap situation before they won anything.

 

Tavares $11.

Matthews $11.5

Marner $fuckinghugenumber

Nylander $7million

Freddy $5million

Rielly  $5 million

Kadri $4.5 million

Zaitsev $4.5 million

 

and they have to re-sign Johnsson and Kapanen.

 

That is tall order for any GM to get out from underneath

 

 

I think one of Kapanen or Johnsson will be dealt this off-season unfortunately. I just don't see how we can afford to keep all those forwards and improve the blueline at the same time under a salary cap lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matthews34 said:

I think one of Kapanen or Johnsson will be dealt this off-season unfortunately. I just don't see how we can afford to keep all those forwards and improve the blueline at the same time under a salary cap lol

It’s been stated on TSN Radio before that Kapanen’s camp is open to a bridge deal and again - promote from within. Brown, Zaitsev, and Marleau should be gone too, as Brown was nearly dealt to Edmonton already and there was teams who’ve inquired about Zaitsev.

Majority of those big money deals uteck is complaining sans Zaitsev are steals anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

It’s been stated on TSN Radio before that Kapanen’s camp is open to a bridge deal and again - promote from within. Brown, Zaitsev, and Marleau should be gone too, as Brown was nearly dealt to Edmonton already and there was teams who’ve inquired about Zaitsev.

Majority of those big money deals uteck is complaining sans Zaitsev are steals anyways.

As much as I'd like to see Marleau traded for cap purposes I just don't see him waiving his clause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

It’s been stated on TSN Radio before that Kapanen’s camp is open to a bridge deal and again - promote from within. Brown, Zaitsev, and Marleau should be gone too, as Brown was nearly dealt to Edmonton already and there was teams who’ve inquired about Zaitsev.

Majority of those big money deals uteck is complaining sans Zaitsev are steals anyways.

Wrong Morrie....Tampa Bay has steals, the leafs have Fair market plus deals for all except Rielly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brocto said:

Meh, i think some peeps will be in for a shock when they find out one of Marner or Willy will be traded for a top D.

 

and stop posting zaitsev’s name and his contract, it hurts.

If it's Nylander it's a celebration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, uteck said:

Wrong Morrie....Tampa Bay has steals, the leafs have Fair market plus deals for all except Rielly

Minus the fact Tavares said no to a 13M AAV in San Jose and came home for less, while Kadri, Rielly, and Andersen are grossly underpaid given what they've turned into since they signed those deals. 

Edited by Morrison7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brocto said:

I guess that’s why you’re not an NHL coah? And again, never stated it was easy or something that is expected to be fixed over night. Just saying it’s 70 games in and if anything it’s worse?

 

Fatigue plays a role.. but oh boy... just wait till play offs start...

 

also, better have this ‘down period’ now than come play off time... so again, much will be decided after the play off games vs Boston.. 

lol... ya.... that's the reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...