Sign in to follow this  
StepOnYou

Did Monday February *25th, 2019 feel like the last day of the season?

I know it's a little late to post this, but Feb. 25th felt like a resignation from Dubas/Shanahan. Not a job resignation, but an acceptance of the inevitable. 

There was only one minor transaction, and nothing to address TOR's shortcomings. 

I know there's still a lot of hockey to be played, but the lack of deadline moves says a lot. It makes me wonder if this theme has trickled down amongst the team.

Edited by StepOnYou

17 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

please never post again.  

dubas traded a 1st round pick for help on the blueline, he hasn’t given up on this season.

So Muzzin and Petan was the answer? These two guys are going to put TOR over the top? Petan is a healthy scratch most nights. I certainly don't mind Muzzin, but I am still underwhelmed by what transpired. 

I hope Dubas & TOR prove me wrong, the quiet resignation speaks pretty loudly.

They're 5-3-1 since the 25th and February by a record standpoint was their best month since November.

But yeah, Dubas not overpaying at the deadline for players that never ending up moving or have amounted to fuck all on their new teams is a quiet resignation. Piss off.

1 minute ago, nodoubtabouter said:

McQuaid, Gudbranson, Lovejoy, etc. those guys were too much? And are worthless??... Maybe you should be the one pissing off, bragging about beating the Oilers and the Sabres a couple times☺️ that's cute

It took less than 5 games for Torts to scratch McQuaid and chew him out to the media. He's averaging a whole 11:45 of ice-time/game when he does play. Definitely worth trading for.

The worst 5v5 goal differential (among skaters with at least 500 minutes on ice) in the league belongs to Gudbranson at -23. Anytime you can trade for a defenceman with the worst goal differential over the last 3 years, you have to do it, right? Gudbranson also makes 4M the next two seasons after this one, as if the Leafs should be trading for more overpaid players who are terrible at hockey.

You should probably sit this discussion out and keep pretending the Leafs have a short window of contention when they don't.

The Canucks without Gudbranson on the ice at 5v5 this season had a +18 goal differential. With Gudbranson on the ice at ES, they had a -27 goal differential. Also, goal differential and plus-minus are two completely different things as the latter counts empty net goals as a minus for starters but...

4M for a bottom pairing defenceman who's been strongly considered as one of the worst players in hockey over the last three seasons, despite playing against bottom six forwards the most. Can't believe Dubas didn't trade for him :( 

Edited by Morrison7

Well since his change of scenery he's been playing over 20 minutes a game, is +5 and racking up lot's of hits and blocks. Sounds like someone the Leafs could have picked up.. for example. The guys 27 not 37, we could have used him as a depth player and flipped him in the summer if we really wanted to.

Edited by nodoubtabouter

42 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

It took less than 5 games for Torts to scratch McQuaid and chew him out to the media. He's averaging a whole 11:45 of ice-time/game when he does play. Definitely worth trading for.

The worst 5v5 goal differential (among skaters with at least 500 minutes on ice) in the league belongs to Gudbranson at -23. Anytime you can trade for a defenceman with the worst goal differential over the last 3 years, you have to do it, right? Gudbranson also makes 4M the next two seasons after this one, as if the Leafs should be trading for more overpaid players who are terrible at hockey.

You should probably sit this discussion out and keep pretending the Leafs have a short window of contention when they don't.

As you know I felt adding McQuaid to our third pairing would not of been as terrible as it seems and even though Torts did blow him out in the media and sat him out one game and then reinserted him back into the line shows that he was indeed capable, otherwise why put him back into the line up.

Anyways I guess my point is/was,.our left hand defenders Morgan, Gardiner, Muzzin and Dermott are capable of being puck moving D men and even though our ploy as a team is to create as much speed as possible, adding some stay at homes that can make a difference in the physical department could of been worth the fetch. 

Again though, we did not make those types of moves and even though  we basically stood pat, this team just has to play gusty and whatever plate Dubas served us for this years playoff run it is up to the team to be hungry and meeting Boston in the playoffs should cater towards that type of appetite. 

Coulda woulda, shoulda's do not help.

We are, what we are and really, it is still exciting even though it has not even happened yet. (playoffs starting) Whoever we ice just has to play hungry.

Now hopefully the team is finished with not starting on time and realizes that they cannot afford to keep bad habits like that becoming repetitive.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

As you know I felt adding McQuaid to our third pairing would not of been as terrible as it seems and even though Torts did blow him out in the media and sat him out one game and then reinserted him back into the line shows that he was indeed capable, otherwise why put him back into the line up.

Anyways I guess my point is/was,.our left hand defenders Morgan, Gardiner, Muzzin and Dermott are capable of being puck moving D men and even though our ploy as a team is to create as much speed as possible, adding some stay at homes that can make a difference in the physical department could of been worth the fetch. 

Again though, we did not make those types of moves and even though  we basically stood pat, this team just has to play gusty and whatever plate Dubas served us for this years playoff run it is up to the team to be hungry and meeting Boston in the playoffs should cater towards that type of appetite. 

Coulda woulda, shoulda's do not help.

We are, what we are and really, it is still exciting even though it has not even happened yet. (playoffs starting) Whoever we ice just has to play hungry.

Now hopefully the team is finished with not starting on time and realizes that they cannot afford to keep bad habits like that becoming repetitive.

McQuaid is averaging nearly 6 minutes less per game in Columbus and hasn't done anything at all. Adding depth that's relatively mediocre and continuing to ignore the depth that never gets played seems terribly redundant. As tbnl said yesterday, this team has more than the ability to out skate, out skill and out score any team in the league. The opposition could throw a cement truck on the ice and that heaviness wouldn't matter. They need to fucking show up on time and play a full game.

1 hour ago, nodoubtabouter said:

Yup, even with Gardiner and Dermott it was pretty evident we weren't going to be going very far into the playoffs unless we did something, here's to another painful series vs. the B's...😢 

They did something though... they got Muzzin.

30 minutes ago, nodoubtabouter said:

Well he's been playing over 20 minutes a game, is +5 and racking up lot's of hits and blocks. Sounds like someone the Leafs could have picked up.. as an example.

Only two defencemen have been on the ice for a lower rate of goals for at 5-on-5 than Gudbranson the past three years: (Schenn and Borowiecki) while Gudbranson has been on the ice for 4.04 goals against per 60 5-on-5 minutes this season. An 8 game sample size means little.

He’s simply not mobile enough and doesn’t move the puck well enough to handle the speed of the modern NHL. All for a cool cost of 4M per, when the Leafs currently have three contracts as is they need to deal away so more money is freed up for Marner.

Edited by Morrison7

Like I said Gudbranson could and probably will get flipped, quite easily. He's nowhere near the worst, that's your opinion. This is why Jim Rutherford is a successful GM and you are you.. looking up useless stats all day and telling ppl to piss off.

Muzzin was a good pickup, but isn't that kinda irrelevant? Kyle still had major needs, a ton of cap space, and a ton of tradeable assets @trade deadline and did nothing. He missed a huge opportunity and it's not really up for debate. Now Mathews and Marner will be making serious bank next year and we won't have that luxury anymore.

18 minutes ago, nodoubtabouter said:

Like I said Gudbranson could and probably will get flipped, quite easily. He's nowhere near the worst, that's your opinion. This is why Jim Rutherford is a successful GM and you are you.. looking up useless stats all day and telling ppl to piss off.

Goal differential is a useless stat now? So useless that I guess there must be more than one major reason Vancouver dumped Gudbranson less than a year after giving him a extension 🤔🤔🤔

A stat isn’t useless just because you don’t understand it lol.

Last time I checked, being on the ice for more goals against than for is generally a bad thing - even worse when the team plays better at ES without you. I’m sure teams were chomping at the bit to acquire an expensive bottom pairing liability like Gudbranson though, ok.

Dubas tested the market, and the prices were too high. The names most commonly discussed either didn’t move at all, or they’ve amounted to fuck all on their new teams. Relax.

Edited by Morrison7

25 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

The only one that irks me is Simmonds, 'cause NSH gave up shit to get him but even then apparently we had a comparable value offer and NSH simply liked Hartman, so here we are.

What moves should have been made?

i'd be bothered by the Simmonds aspect if he weren't having a season where he only has 3 more points than Brown