Sign in to follow this  
Konstantin Konstantinovich

Your 2019/2020 Toronto Maple Leafs

6 minutes ago, §andman said:

Matthews is going to get more points than  Marner this year. 

Even if he didn't he plays one of the more perfect two way centre games in the league and still scores like 40 goals a year.

It's a good feeling

4 minutes ago, Armster said:

I actually dislike this exercise comparing the two. They are both too great to feel proper picking out minute aspects of their game for criticism.

And I can totally see the argument for Marner but I disagree.

That's all we Marner apologists( as Morrison calls us) ask.

You guys just don’t understand how the argument of C vs wing works.

If all things are equal between two players (a C and a winger),  the C has more value.

And generally speaking a pure goal scorer is worth more to teams than a playmaker.

The thing with Marner that makes him a favourite to some over Matthews (me included) is that he is the most exciting player on the team to watch.

2 minutes ago, Puq said:

You guys just don’t understand how the argument of C vs wing works.

If all things are equal between two players (a C and a winger),  the C has more value.

And generally speaking a pure goal scorer is worth more to teams than a playmaker.

The thing with Marner that makes him a favourite to some over Matthews (me included) is that he is the most exciting player on the team to watch.

I do not apologize for 100% agreeing with you.

14 minutes ago, Armster said:

But then Uteck wants to come in here talking his shit about what I think Kerfoot is and isn't..like what?

Shut up. I’m right you’re wrong. Deal with it. 

Well actually, what you said a few posts back sums it up for me. I can absolutely see the argument for Matthews, but disagree with it. 

Edited by uteck

7 hours ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Anyone who's ever played hockey knows why centers are more valuable than wingers.

Guys who can't play center get moved to wing.

Nuff said.

I've played and coached, and this is true, even at peewee level.

However, that was not the point of the article, and not the argument.

19 minutes ago, brocto said:

This article says Matthews is the 4th best center in the league. Tavares is 10th.

https://tipofthetower.com/2018/08/09/toronto-maple-leafs-why-auston-matthews-top-five-nhl-centre/

Is it an article from 2018, yes it is, but that's not the point and not the argument.

So why did you post it and what's your point?

The article that I posted was from July 10th, yesterday.

Edited by Mitchy

1 hour ago, Mitchy said:

So why did you post it and what's your point?

The article that I posted was from July 10th, yesterday.

My point is, for any 'opinion' you have - you can find some random article on some random website to 'back up your opinion'. 

Anyways..

Can Mitch just fucking sign already?

Each player nowadays has specific fortes and how they use them determines their importance.

Shit, it is amazing that the goalie is not the most important one, consider a team usually has two that they trust (for the most part)

They could rename the NHL goalie almost. Thats how important they are but look at even 4 centerman compared to 8 wingers, so being a centerman , those fortes have to shine more than wingers BUT,..it seems nowadays even though some centerman retrieve in the o-zone also follow the puck backwards into the D zone and usually play more ice compared to wingers, but some wingers Like Mitch carry the play in the O=zone too and now control the puck possession more often than some centermen..

I'm not really arguing which position is harder to play or carries more weight/importance to the team but it is easier for a centerman to play the winger compared to a winger trying to play the centerman role. If a winger does play the centermans role, well, hell, he is  playing center and realizes that more air miles on the ice are in store for them because of the added responsibilities and expectations.

6 minutes ago, Raiden said:

Those were some truly shitty Buffalo teams. 

Also, let's be real. He single handedly destroyed Team Canada. He was a bad man. 

The argument is there, and he deserves to be respected as the greatest goalie this game has ever seen. But I'm not sure he beats out Gretzky. 

As in game changers he certainly does, but for longevity and basically unreal numbers in many categories, that is where Gretz sits on top of the hill like a King, ....I mean an oiler, I mean a blues, I mean a ranger.