(A3) TOR 2
(M1) WSH 2
(WC1) CAR 2
(M2) NYI 4
(M3) PIT 0
Sign in to follow this  
Calico

Fire! Fire!

Imagine if people cared as much about real issues as they apparently do about an utterly pointless 850 year tribute to idolatry.

I'm sure the homeless and vulnerable people of Paris are gratified to know that millions of Euros have been raised in less than 24 hours to assist in solving a real problem.

It's what Jesus would have done.

Why would Catholics choose good works and charity over idolatry and self-glorification? There's no precedent for such a thing when you could instead spend your money on, say, a gilt palace in the middle of Rome to house one person (man). 

The Roman Empire never went away, it just changed its name.

This argument can be made for everything except the essentials. Unless you're walking around in tattered clothes living off whatever scraps you can find or farm you're also part of the problem. You all live by every standard way more privileged and comfortable than billions of people out there. Donate all your money to a good cause other than yourself, never buy anything non essential again or shut up.

Why are you spending money on X when it could go to a good/better cause instead? Why do we bother with art? Why don't we convert every protected historical site to another apartment building or homeless shelter or whatever?

If people want to spend their money to help rebuild a significant historical cathedral go ahead, as long as you're not forcing me to pay too.

2 hours ago, Kulemin said:

This argument can be made for everything except the essentials. Unless you're walking around in tattered clothes living off whatever scraps you can find or farm you're also part of the problem. You all live by every standard way more privileged and comfortable than billions of people out there. Donate all your money to a good cause other than yourself, never buy anything non essential again or shut up.

Why are you spending money on X when it could go to a good/better cause instead? Why do we bother with art? Why don't we convert every protected historical site to another apartment building or homeless shelter or whatever?

If people want to spend their money to help rebuild a significant historical cathedral go ahead, as long as you're not forcing me to pay too.

Yep. Millions of Euros on an idolatrous frivolity from people who publicly proclaim to be in it for the good works and charity in the name of a strictly anti-idolatry diety is the same as a random person buying a can of Coke. 

Well spotted, Hans Moleman.

Can you show me which fundamental right protects your expression and the expression you favour but prohibits mine? There's no right to be free from criticism. At no point have I said they should be prohibited from spending their money on whatever they want. I remarked on the sheer hypocrisy of spending their money on raising an idol while ignoring the poor, the hungry, the needy. Just like Jesus said to.

Course, that's unanswerable so you had to pretend I was saying something else.

Not to mention there was no suggestion that they should not enjoy their life. But when you have the means that some of these people do such as a liquid 200M the good you can do with that type of money is unfathomable.  Instead they're racing to get their name into the history books.  It's disappointing.

14 hours ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Yep. Millions of Euros on an idolatrous frivolity from people who publicly proclaim to be in it for the good works and charity in the name of a strictly anti-idolatry diety is the same as a random person buying a can of Coke. 

Well spotted, Hans Moleman.

Can you show me which fundamental right protects your expression and the expression you favour but prohibits mine? There's no right to be free from criticism. At no point have I said they should be prohibited from spending their money on whatever they want. I remarked on the sheer hypocrisy of spending their money on raising an idol while ignoring the poor, the hungry, the needy. Just like Jesus said to.

Course, that's unanswerable so you had to pretend I was saying something else.

The Cathedral has transcended it’s importance as a religious symbol to have historic cultural significance.  

And at no point did I, the person more for free speech than you suggest you don’t have the right to say your stupid thoughts.

Who says they’re ignoring the poor? And who says they’re making these donations for religious reasons. They’ve stated they want to assist with the reconstruction of an extraordinary symbol of French heritage and unity, and the donation will go to the reconstruction of this architectural work. And the L’Oreal donation also made mention of this architectural jewel. You have made this about being hypocritical because of religious reasons when the two largest donations were not made for religious reasons. 

We are collectively wasting millions of dollars on sports and other frivolous things when we can be donating money and time to helping the needy. These billionaires have done a million times more for charity and the needy than you, I or the entire LC community could do in our entire lifetimes. If they want to rebuild an architecturally significant cultural symbol, good for them. Let’s not act like you can only help one cause at a time. 

1 hour ago, Armster said:

Not to mention there was no suggestion that they should not enjoy their life. But when you have the means that some of these people do such as a liquid 200M the good you can do with that type of money is unfathomable.  Instead they're racing to get their name into the history books.  It's disappointing.

You also have the means to do a lot of good with all the money you have. Instead you buy a nice car or a large house. Donate it to someone who needs it more. Use your money for a better cause.

And how much money have they donated to other causes as well? 

How much money is globally donated? 

People just hate the rich more than they care about the poor.

Oh, good call, lecturing me on the fact that Capitalism necessarily involves an inefficient allocation of resources. Minus several million points however for failing to extend the logic and realizing that billionaires are nothing more than dragons sat on a hoard of gold; dragons who cause the existence of the poor, the vulnerable and the needy. For one person to have much it is necessary for many to go without.

So excuse me if I don't fall to my knees and start slurping 'cause they've thrown a vainglorious sop to their own conscience.

Studies have repeatedly shown that poor people give to charities more generously than rich people do, FWIW. Sucks to have neither logic nor science on your side, huh?

Nothing you have said even comes close to addressing the core contentions; that people care more about famous bits of stone than they do the people dying on the streets. That the reaction to this is purely performative. That it perfectly encapsulates the grotesque deformation of Catholic priority and starkly illustrates the broad disconnect between the theory and the practice. 

Edited by King of Dick Mountain

"Bang Bang

As beautiful as this building was...it is only a building, something built by people that can be rebuilt. Undoubtedly the French people will ensure it is ✊🏻

Imagine, however, if the wholesale destruction of our environment got the same reaction, if billionaires pledged hundreds of millions instantly, if leaders of the world united against it...

How can we continue to destroy all other species that are totally irreplaceable but most mourn man made structures that are replaceable...

Yesterday a church went on fire and a species of turtle became extinct, both are terrible, one is far more terrible however."

Copied from FB

Edited by Humper
To clarify origin

7 hours ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Oh, good call, lecturing me on the fact that Capitalism necessarily involves an inefficient allocation of resources. Minus several million points however for failing to extend the logic and realizing that billionaires are nothing more than dragons sat on a hoard of gold; dragons who cause the existence of the poor, the vulnerable and the needy. For one person to have much it is necessary for many to go without.

So excuse me if I don't fall to my knees and start slurping 'cause they've thrown a vainglorious sop to their own conscience.

Studies have repeatedly shown that poor people give to charities more generously than rich people do, FWIW. Sucks to have neither logic nor science on your side, huh?

Nothing you have said even comes close to addressing the core contentions; that people care more about famous bits of stone than they do the people dying on the streets. That the reaction to this is purely performative. That it perfectly encapsulates the grotesque deformation of Catholic priority and starkly illustrates the broad disconnect between the theory and the practice. 

It would be a great point, if these billionaires donated for religious reasons, which they have stated isn't the case.

Nice of you to bring in irrelevant studies. These are the billionaires who do have charitable causes and do donate some of their wealth.

Everyone can always do more and there is always a better cause.

I do find it silly that they're asking Americans for money.

Edited by Kulemin