Sign in to follow this  
Morrison7

Leafs Trade Kadri, Rosen to COL for Tyson Barrie, Kerfoot

40 minutes ago, Armster said:

A Happy Meal?

Seriously though, you've beaten this to death. Find a new horse to flog in every thread please.

Well it is the most  relevant topic to the future of the club. 

Do the leafs sign Marner and trade Nylander, or do they say fuck off to Marner  and keep an overpaid Nylander and become a worse team as a result? ( my speculation). 

It’s looking right now as one or the other. 

22 minutes ago, uteck said:

Well it is the most  relevant topic to the future of the club. 

Do the leafs sign Marner and trade Nylander, or do they say fuck off to Marner  and keep an overpaid Nylander and become a worse team as a result? ( my speculation). 

It’s looking right now as one or the other. 

Ayuh. If you're $3.5m over the cap, with 15F, 7D and 2G signed, you have to trade a $6.9m contract.

Because reasons. Reasons that definitely don't include you being a dumbass with a penchant for trying to manufacture drama.

Natch.

12 minutes ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

Ayuh. If you're $3.5m over the cap, with 15F, 7D and 2G signed, you have to trade a $6.9m contract.

Because reasons. Reasons that definitely don't include you being a dumbass with a penchant for trying to manufacture drama.

Natch.

It's hockey, so for you I will go slow....really fucking slow.

Matthews $11.64mm

Tavares   $11MM

Nylander $7mm

Marner asking for Matthews equivalent money $11.5mm+

That is roughly 51% of the cap on 4 players who are forwards. I don't know for certain that it can't work, but feel that it constricts the manoeuverability tremendously going forward. No team has ever been so cap unbalanced so there are no data points either way. 

So if the leafs are debating whether Marner's contract is too rich for the cap strapped leafs, it is also a proxy on whether they prefer Willy at $7 mm versus Marner at $11.6mm.

IMO they can't have both and maximize their potential. They can certainly start the season with them with a few tweaks, but they are essentially painted into cap corner for the next 5 seasons.

And I know you won't understand a word of this hockey related discussion....but others may read it and form an opinion either way.

30 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

wait what the fuck? in this thread you say you don't think he matches, but in the 2019/2020 thread, you  say you think he does. make up your god damn mind!

No i said I don't think he does but I hope he does.

32 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

wait what the fuck? in this thread you say you don't think he matches, but in the 2019/2020 thread, you  say you think he does. make up your god damn mind!

NM i see the confusion. I edited my other  post lol.

1 minute ago, Morrison7 said:

The Avs third game of the season is against Boston. Don’t think him calming down will last too long.

I don't think he will calm down. I'm saying he can lose his shit in the playoffs in the first round in the West. 0 percent chance any Leafs get subjected to some wild Kadri hit.

I'm not at all against this trade, but I wonder about Rosen. I wish I saw more of him over the years, but I thought he was a decent player. If we didn't have Barrie, Rosen most certainly would have started the season on the bottom pair. Does he have any potential to play in the top 4?

Just want to remind everyone how great this deal was! We finally got rid of Kadri and got a defenseman that should transform the top 4.  Might look back at this deal as the key that helps push us over the top both by subtraction and addition.

Barrie seems like he might be as good at d as Gardiner.  Doesn't seem like a brilliant move. Some fans seem ecstatic to put him on the same pairing as Rielly.  We still have a hole at 2nd d.   Gardiner was overused by Babs now we have the same d-man with a different name, maybe worse.  

Edited by hobarth