Sign in to follow this  
GeneralT001

Mitch Marner - Signs 6 years/10.9M AAV

1 hour ago, Puq said:

If a player would rather get the absolute most money one might think they are not as concerned with winning as someone who takes a fair price to help a gm make a better team (while still getting very rich.

Im not saying Marner is doing this as there is no hard proof about what the situation is.

I think Marner sees himself as being as valuable as Matthews. He's not, but is pretty close. Matthews is a goal-scoring center with the potential to have multiple 50+ goal seasons in his prime if he stays healthy. Maybe we overpaid a little for Matthews... so fair value might have been for 6 or 7 years at that annual price because he isn't worth what McDavid is. Marner is an amazing young player, but I'm sure he benefited from playing with Tavares and one of the best overall offensive teams in the league.

2 minutes ago, CognitiveBias said:

My concern with the current Marner situation is that reportedly his camp was willing to do a deal at $7.5-8m AAV last off season, but the Leafs thought that was too rich. Now they'll be paying $10m AAV minimum on any contract.

Safe to say management really fucked that one up.

58 minutes ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

"I think this, therefore it is a logical thought".

Нет. It is your usual tyre-fire of two-footed leaps to conclusions.

You really need to stop having these childish crying fits.

Wanting to win and wanting to get paid can be mutually exclusive.  There are probably clear cases we can identify where a player took the money over the chance to win.  What makes this a clear case of that?  Because he's negotiating the absolute best deal he can possibly get financially?  Please. After watching the contracts handed out by Dubas, that's a a nonsensical position to take or we could draw that line across most elite athletes.  

Just because you can attempt to create controversy around a hot topic doesn't mean you should.

After the Clarkson trade, anyone else think Marner and the Leafs have a handshake agreement to sign right when LTIR goes in affect? Throw Clarkson and Horton on LTIR, designate Marner as the replacement and sign him to whatever their combined cap hit is. 

On 8/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, CognitiveBias said:

My concern with the current Marner situation is that reportedly his camp was willing to do a deal at $7.5-8m AAV last off season, but the Leafs thought that was too rich. Now they'll be paying $10m AAV minimum on any contract.

On 8/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, tbnl said:

Safe to say management really fucked that one up.

I don’t believe for a second that Marner's camp was willing to negotiate an extension prior to the season. It doesn’t make any sense. 

22 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I don’t believe for a second that Marner's camp was willing to negotiate an extension prior to the season. It doesn’t make any sense. 

That's what happened apparently. Betting on yourself to get better and not have a down year is a risk. The possibility of getting injured is too. I don't know the stats, but it sounds like the Marner camp wanted a good deal for both sides. 

I mean, the Nylander deal was criticized after it was done as being too rich. Marner was asking for more... and I think the Leafs misread the landscape back then. Now we pay top dollar!

Edited by CognitiveBias

3 minutes ago, CognitiveBias said:

That's what happened apparently. Betting on yourself to get better and not have a down year is a risk. The possibility of getting injured is too. I don't know the stats, but it sounds like the Marner camp wanted a good deal for both sides. 

I mean, the Nylander deal was criticized after it was done as being too rich. Marner was asking for more... and I think the Leafs misread the landscape back then. Now we pay top dollar!

it's not the first time i've heard it but i didn't believe it then and i especially don't believe it now. the Marner camp has been all about trying to maximize their profits. why would they have agreed to a contract before seeing what happens with Marner and Tavares? it doesn't add up and that's why i don't believe it.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:02 PM, JKG33 said:

After the Clarkson trade, anyone else think Marner and the Leafs have a handshake agreement to sign right when LTIR goes in affect? Throw Clarkson and Horton on LTIR, designate Marner as the replacement and sign him to whatever their combined cap hit is. 

Horton and Clarkson’s combined cap hit is 10.55M. I honestly wouldn’t have gone higher than that with Marner to begin with imo but then again, I’ll never work in the NHL.

23 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Horton and Clarkson’s combined cap hit is 10.55M. I honestly wouldn’t have gone higher than that with Marner to begin with imo but then again, I’ll never work in the NHL.

If thats the money he gets for an 8 year contract, i’m down. 

2 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

it's not the first time i've heard it but i didn't believe it then and i especially don't believe it now. the Marner camp has been all about trying to maximize their profits. why would they have agreed to a contract before seeing what happens with Marner and Tavares? it doesn't add up and that's why i don't believe it.

What did you say about Leblanc's agent? That he should be fired for that contract? Or something to that effect I think. 

If Marner's agent was seriously considering this, Paul would have fired him on the spot. I agree, I don't think a deal was ever on the table for a bridge. Ever. Might have been discussed but Marner was never signing a bridge. Ever. 

So, would you consider a 6-year $10M AAV contract for Marner to be fair? I think it is. Apparently the Leafs have already offered it. Marner would be 28 when it's done and ready to sign another even more massive contract after that. 

It would be smart for the Leafs to avoid having both Matthews and Marner coming up for new contracts in the same year.

3 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

A former London Knight and Ferris client in Bolland pumping Marner’s tires?

Colour me shocked!

lol yup!

Bolland should look at it like this,...and so should mitch.

Lets say, Arizona offers Mitch 1 dollar more than what Matthews makes with the same term. (we don't match) (nor should we match)

but,...Then Arizona offers a straight up one for one trade,..Mitch for Matthews.

We do not make that trade.

I think TO should trade Marner.  He's making very pointed statements. With the rep of his agent, his dad, it's probably a better long term solution for TO.  Babs won't like it much because he said Marner is going to be in TO for life but Babs has some loose screws.  It's funny/interesting how all these barely legal players are holding Dubas and TO over a barrel.  Personal feelings aside, about this situation, the return TO could get for Marner could win them some playoff rounds at least, even with screws loose Babs coaching. D like Karlsson are in short supply so TO should start there.  

3 hours ago, Sypher_04 said:

I'd pretty happily give Marner 10mx6, even 10.5mx6

He allegedly only wants 5 years, but that puts him, Matthews and Nylander all as UFAs at the same time which is frankly just not going to happen. 1 extra year isn't a huge ask by the team. It's not 8.

I don’t see why the 5 year term should be a sticking point. 

The leafs need only to win 1 cup. If they can’t do it in 5 seasons with JT, Matthews Marner and Nylander locked up, it’s time for changes anyway