Sign in to follow this  
§andman

Federal Election

58 minutes ago, Raiden said:

You're out to lunch 

Not as out to lunch as voting for a single-issue environmental party that also wholeheartedly supports the one thing that is doing all the damage to the environment.

If you actually give a shit about the planet, vote Communist. If you just want to look good on FB, for sure vote Green.

NDP is still a better protest vote.

I did the CBC vote compass (as I always do) and found I'm in the 70% range with Green, NDP, and Liberals. 37% with Cons.  Which is hardly shocking.

But the riding I live in will vote conservative in a landslide, if the 3 other parties combined match the conservatives votes I'll be shocked. The green and NDP parties have candidates but offer them zero support. The Liberals will at least put a decent candidate up but don't put much effort in.

At this point I'm with @Raiden I'm hoping for a Liberal minority propped up by the NDP/Green.

On a different note I saw something on Twitter about the blackface stuff.

It should have come out in Justin's first campaign. One of the times was in a yearbook picture, it couldn't have been that hard to find. So the Cons sat on it probably thinking their "good hair though" ad would be enough and only brought it out now.

As for the minority government. I don't see the Greens or NDP propping up a Conservative government, but a Liberal one could happen.

With the Libs and Cons basically tied in most polls I'd say it's the most likely outcome. 

I don't believe I said the Cons were to blame. That is solely on Justin. I'm just suggesting they had this information before and only used it now.

Still very dumb by Justin, I've known a few rich kids that got to adulthood without ever growing up and blackface is something they would do. Which is quite frankly a terrible endorsement. 

I don't mean it personally. 

I spent all day in a motel room watching CP24 and more than once it was suggested that really it was all the Cons fault for 'leaking' the pics.

Though having said that, you are also hinting at some nefarious intent, or suggesting that they somehow had a duty to bring this forward earlier.

It was blatantly done to discredit Trudeau and derail the Liberal campaign at a time most advantageous to the Cons. So what?

It doesn't even look like it's worked all that well. No matter how much the anchors tried to whip up indignation, the majority response from the vox populi was pretty much a shrug. Jagmeet Singh and the NDP seem to be the biggest winners of all this, politically, not Scheer and not the Cons.

I can see your point.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Cons should have leaked this before. Of course they sat on it until they felt they needed it. It's the same reason the Libs brought up Sheers comments about gay marriages from years ago.

To be honest, I don't think that photo really has anything to do with racism. What was considered acceptable or politically correct was a lot different in 2001 than it is in 2019. Scheer pulling the racism card on this is just the usual smear campaign bs we see in politics. His comments about gay marriage are much worse... he knew exactly what he was talking about and saying. 

11 minutes ago, LSP said:

Some have. 

Some haven't. 

Justin Trudeau was 30 in 2001. I was 19 and even then I knew that blackface wasn't a good or even neutral thing, because I wasn't a racist.

That's a slippery slope argument. One's age and the wisdom that comes with it is only relevant in the context of the times. If it was 1910, would it really matter what anyone's age was? 

You are making assumptions about Trudeau's character, beliefs, and intentions when there likely were none. Justin Trudeau has literally carried himself as the most progressive PM the country has ever had when it comes to traditionally marginalized groups. 

This is a political smear campaign, plain and simple. It happens every election and the reality is pretty much everyone in this country has skeletons in their closet. Shit like this from 2 decades ago doesn't define who a person is or what they stand for.

Edited by CognitiveBias

The only credible opinions on this topic are marginalized/minority groups, swing voters, or people on one side or the other of the political spectrum arguing against their political affiliation. Well maybe not exactly, but at least we know it's not a politically biased argument...

I'm not allowed to vote in Canada. 

Do you deign to allow me to partake in your roundtable, you sanctimomious twat?

Racism is not a shifting standard. Once more, I knew it was racist to don blackface in 2001 and so I did not don blackface in 2001 because I was not a racist. African slavery is no less horrific because it was accepted at the time. Ditto Tuskegee. Blackface necessarily requires a racist mind; whether it be racist intentionally or unintentionally isn't relevant. 

And Trudeau's supposed status as a progressive is exactly the point. He isn't a progressive and he never has been. It's a politically-expedient mask that he puts on to make you all ok with his string-pulling for SNC-Lavalin, his strong-arming of his Cabinet, his almost total inaction on indigenous issues and his rank, rank hypocrisy.

And you know the worst thing? Trudeau is still the best bet of the big three. It's fucking pathetic.

Vote Rowley.

1 hour ago, LSP said:

I'm not allowed to vote in Canada. 

Do you deign to allow me to partake in your roundtable, you sanctimomious twat?

Racism is not a shifting standard. Once more, I knew it was racist to don blackface in 2001 and so I did not don blackface in 2001 because I was not a racist. African slavery is no less horrific because it was accepted at the time. Ditto Tuskegee. Blackface necessarily requires a racist mind; whether it be racist intentionally or unintentionally isn't relevant. 

And Trudeau's supposed status as a progressive is exactly the point. He isn't a progressive and he never has been. It's a politically-expedient mask that he puts on to make you all ok with his string-pulling for SNC-Lavalin, his strong-arming of his Cabinet, his almost total inaction on indigenous issues and his rank, rank hypocrisy.

And you know the worst thing? Trudeau is still the best bet of the big three. It's fucking pathetic.

Vote Rowley.

Ok, let's not not make too many assumptions here. I don't know you and we're having a discussion.  I respect your opinion regardless of whether or not you can vote. I have no round table... I just give a shit enough to talk about these issues in what I think is an unbiased way (unlike many people).

Actually, racism, sexism, and any other social issue are a shifting standard. All you have to do is watch movies or sitcoms from more than a decade ago to realize just how much things have changed in terms of people's views and what is considered politically correct or acceptable. North American culture has changed over time and continues to change. 

I don't know much about the SNC-Lavalin scandal, but I do know one of Canada's top human rights lawyers who has been working with the Trudeau government to award shit tons of money to the indigenous in this country. This government has been doing a lot to move the needle. That's what I know, but I may be wrong on that. 

There are also egos, pride, and self-interests that play into all these scandals and politics. Nothing is ever a one-sided story because of race, ethnic background, gender, religious affiliation, politics, values/ideology, etc. It's foolish tunnel vision to think that way... we are all human and very flawed in the same fundamental ways. 

Edited by CognitiveBias