Sign in to follow this  
Doc J

GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs San Jose Sharts

2 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

You absolutely cannot have an honest discussion about this season without commenting on the horrendous goaltending they've had all season. Especially when the defence you'd rather blame instead hasn't been as bad as it's made out to be.

1)  You don't have an honest discussion about anything. You just pick a scapegoat and repeat it over and over and over and over and over.  2)  Team defense is a lot worse than you think it is because you can't get past possession numbers.  Which are good, granted. But you totally ignore almost half the game.  First it was Babcock almost every post. Now Babcock is gone, it's Freddy.  Like dude, it doesn't make you less of a fan to open your eyes and see the major issues.

4 minutes ago, Armster said:

1)  You don't have an honest discussion about anything. You just pick a scapegoat and repeat it over and over and over and over and over.  2)  Team defense is a lot worse than you think it is because you can't get past possession numbers.  Which are good, granted. But you totally ignore almost half the game.  First it was Babcock almost every post. Now Babcock is gone, it's Freddy.  Like dude, it doesn't make you less of a fan to open your eyes and see the major issues.

8th best record in the league since the coaching change and literally around league-average defensively; both at preventing shot attempts, and high danger shot attempts. All this, despite poor goaltending, and being 3rd in man-games lost due to injury.

But let's continue to act like every loss is meltdown-worthy and get irrationally angry over everything.

Sure we had the best record in the league after the coaching cha0nge at one point too. For like 10 games. You are absolutely insane the way you hold on to this shit. Also, the point made was " does this look a team that will be a threat in the playoffs" not "what is our record on rainy weekdays when the sun is half under cloud cover"

Also, I'm addressing you directly it would be nice if you would do the same.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Armster said:

Sure we had the best record in the league after the coaching cha0nge at one point too. For like 10 games. You are absolutely insane the way you hold on to this shit. Also, the point made was " does this look a team that will be a threat in the playoffs" not "what is our record on rainy weekdays when the sun is half under cloud cover"

Also, I'm addressing you directly it would be nice if you would do the same.

"Does this look a team that will be a threat in the playoffs" was only answered by AM. My comment which you took offence with was off of Nipzie's comment on how this team can't consistently beat bottom feeders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Does this look a team that will be a threat in the playoffs?" If they're fully healthy and Freddy plays like the goaltender we've seen the past 3 seasons, they might. 

They match up well against Tampa imo and Stamkos will be missing most or all of round 1.

Edited by Morrison7

So then no it doesn't look like a team that is a threat.  

And they have issues with all teams. It's not about the quality of the teams they are playing it's about whether they bring the effort or not.  Effort = good team. We've seen it.  When they forgot what it takes to compete in this league, they look like one of the worst teams I've ever seen. That's happened far too often this season 

So.... if we play poorly against the "bottom feeder" teams, but bring our best effort and get our best results against the better teams in the league, then why aren't fans being optimistic about the playoffs, since it is comprised of the better teams and the "bottom feeders" are all golfing.

Careful with your answer, rational thinking may be  necessary.

But they aren't bringing it against the better teams.Lmao.  The losses have piled up against playoff teams.  I'm saying when they play with effort they look like a good team. But they don't do that.

I'm sorry but are people just dumb? If ya'll think they look like a team that can do some damage in the playoffs they way they have played this season then you've suffered an irreparable brain injury.

4 minutes ago, Armster said:

But they aren't bringing it against the better teams.Lmao.  The losses have piled up against playoff teams.  I'm saying when they play with effort they look like a good team. But they don't do that.

I'm sorry but are people just dumb? If ya'll think they look like a team that can do some damage in the playoffs they way they have played this season then you've suffered an irreparable brain injury.

They've shown at times, they are more than capable of skating with some of the best teams in the league.

If you missed those games, then I guess it's understandable you have this opinion.

Perhaps PVR ftw next time, instead of calling people dumb?

/shrug....

3 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

They've shown at times, they are more than capable of skating with some of the best teams in the league.

If you missed those games, then I guess it's understandable you have this opinion.

Perhaps PVR ftw next time, instead of calling people dumb?

/shrug....

I just bloody well said that. Twice.

1 hour ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

So.... if we play poorly against the "bottom feeder" teams, but bring our best effort and get our best results against the better teams in the league, then why aren't fans being optimistic about the playoffs, since it is comprised of the better teams and the "bottom feeders" are all golfing.

Careful with your answer, rational thinking may be  necessary.

The Leafs are only as good as their most recent game, apparently.

Posted (edited)

In order for the Leafs to have success they’ll have to play like they haven’t done this year. 4 lines playing hard and no looping around trying to stick check at both ends of the rink and get stellar goaltending. They’ve given up more goals this year than all but 4 teams, luckily for them FL is one of the 4 teams. 
Maybe they have a switch they can cut on

Edited by MississippiMapleLeaf

I don't care what the defensive "stats" look like, all you have to do is watch the damn games and look at how many giveaways they hand to the other team. Our defensemen have done it, our forwards do it, even our goaltenders have done it far too often. It's not even debatable. The times they've looked good this year, 90% of the time they've outscored their problems. When they don't it really exposes how bad they are without the puck as a team.

You really think this team is a threat in the playoffs? (not pointing anyone out)

1. The playoffs are tighter. This team is already having a tougher time scoring (minus Matthews) and it's still March. Even with Rielly and Muzzin back, I don't see that changing in the playoffs.

2. The playoffs are more physical. This team gets absolutely manhandled when the game gets physical.

3. The playoffs are about timely scoring, team defense and above average goaltending. Even if you think their offense is okay, two of the three have not been their strengths during the regular season when things aren't nearly as hard. 

I love the Leafs but I'd be utterly shocked to see them make it out of the first round and surprised to see a long series.

13 hours ago, GeneralT001 said:

If only there were consequences for shitty play...like a cat "o" nine tails. Bet we'd see some inspired play then.

Keefe needs to start bag skating them. No more optional practices until they show they can be consistently good. These players have it too easy.

17 hours ago, MississippiMapleLeaf said:

In order for the Leafs to have success they’ll have to play like they haven’t done this year. 4 lines playing hard and no looping around trying to stick check at both ends of the rink and get stellar goaltending. They’ve given up more goals this year than all but 4 teams, luckily for them FL is one of the 4 teams. 
Maybe they have a switch they can cut on

To be fair,..they did play two games the way they always should.

One was against Dallas and the other was the rebound game after the Pittsburgh loss.

Blows me away how they can actually play the game the way it should be played, learning that that effort level from all 4 lines was what it took to win and gain the confidence in the game they just played to,.... going off to the polar opposite side of the spectrum and playing the way they do (like shit) the very next gamee (s)

I know last year when we first met Boston this team (well not everyone but....) they were playing physical and did pay attention to details and actually battled and looked like a team that was growing in that learning curve of what it takes.

I hope they are not relying on flipping the switch once the playoffs start, but then again,..maybe that is all we can hope they do.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can find that switch to flip them and then weld that switch into place?

3 hours ago, Johnny's Home said:

I don't care what the defensive "stats" look like, all you have to do is watch the damn games and look at how many giveaways they hand to the other team. Our defensemen have done it, our forwards do it, even our goaltenders have done it far too often. It's not even debatable. The times they've looked good this year, 90% of the time they've outscored their problems. When they don't it really exposes how bad they are without the puck as a team.

You really think this team is a threat in the playoffs? (not pointing anyone out)

1. The playoffs are tighter. This team is already having a tougher time scoring (minus Matthews) and it's still March. Even with Rielly and Muzzin back, I don't see that changing in the playoffs.

2. The playoffs are more physical. This team gets absolutely manhandled when the game gets physical.

3. The playoffs are about timely scoring, team defense and above average goaltending. Even if you think their offense is okay, two of the three have not been their strengths during the regular season when things aren't nearly as hard. 

I love the Leafs but I'd be utterly shocked to see them make it out of the first round and surprised to see a long series.

Well I think TO is better this year, the core 3 are more mature, have more experience. This team can dominate if healthy and tho healthy isn't supposed to be an excuse but it is. No team can replace a Rielly, a Muzzin, a JT with depth so TO doing as well as it has been might be the foundation of a great future, maybe in the near future.

53 minutes ago, hobarth said:

Well I think TO is better this year, the core 3 are more mature, have more experience. This team can dominate if healthy and tho healthy isn't supposed to be an excuse but it is. No team can replace a Rielly, a Muzzin, a JT with depth so TO doing as well as it has been might be the foundation of a great future, maybe in the near future.

Other than Boston? 

1 hour ago, hobarth said:

I haven't seen a post as wrong as this one outside of Uteck. And TC.

Marner and JT are both measurably and visibly worse. The goaltending is worse. And the effort is inconsistent to be nice about it. I have no idea wtf you're watching  or reading but my god man it must be nice to live in this dreamland.

How is Marner worse, he's scoring at the same pace as last year,  his +/- is tolerable, he's still a demon on the PK? This year he's facing the best the opposition has all the time, I think he's even better this year. AM is having his best year probably because of his own growth but also probably because MM is on his line.

JT is like old man river, just keeps rolling along doing the same old, same old but he's not going to get 47 goals like last year because he's not playing with Marner. He's at nearly a point per game, he still acts as TO's most responsible center, he's enabling Ny to have a career year, he's not having another Marner enabled career year but now that he and Marner are separated 2 lines are more productive.

Those individuals aren't the only measuring stick of TO's growth/improvement, for years we'd watch TO win but other than TO's outright talent TO didn't win on effort or thoroughly dominate no matter the competition, this is the first year I'm comfortable saying I've seen many games where I felt TO dominated, deserved to win. In previous years, the previous 3 in particular, TO rarely had injuries and when they had injuries TO paid, last year from Xmas on TO was .500 with basically a healthy lineup, this year TO's winning % is better with a ton of injuries. 

Army I think time has made you remember fondly something that really wasn't. We fans were all complaining about how crappy the Leafs finished last year, how ordinary MM looked, how slow JT looked, how crappy Ny was you don't remember this?