NFK

Photography anyone?

I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've had it for 5 days and I've taken some shots I'm happy with, but definitely can't wait to learn more. I also have a 70-300mm lens coming with an image stabilizer.

This is my favorite shot so far (edited in Adobe Lightroom). Keep in mind I'm still very new and have a lot to learn.

8654314867_080cf5e703_z.jpg

Anyone into photography here? I just got myself a Rebel T3 less than a week ago and I'm having a shitload of fun playing with it. Just wondering if anyone else is into this medium?

I was able to archive the old Camera help thread from 1.0 here:

http://www.leafsconnected.com/index.php/topic/178-the-camera-thread/

What kind of kit have you assembled so far?

And it's safe to say I'm very into the medium. Been shooting consistently for at least 7 years or so now? Still working at making it a career.

Check out my flickr if you wish to see some of my work.

http://www.flickr.com/wkphotography

@@David is also a photo buff.

Would any of you be interested in holding photo contests? We could have themes and award LC cash as a prize.

Edited by tbnl

So far I just have the basic kit, with a tripod that I have to locate yet. Standard 18-55mm kit lens. I've got the Canon 70-300 IS USM coming and hopefully a mid-range macro lens after that and then a decent external flash. Lenspen kit for cleaning.

I'm going to South Africa in june so I'm hoping to learn a fair amount between now and then and get some nice wildlife shots. My main interest is nature, so I want to focus on that, macro and maybe a bit of sports related stuff.

I will look at your stuff! I love looking at other peoples' work. Oh and a competition would be nice, if people are interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianbeauty37/ is my flickr, obviously I'm very green but I figured I'd keep track there.

I'll try and go join that forum group.

I have a Sony NEX3 mirrorless with 2 lenses.

Have gotten a few good shots here and there. Tried my hand at a few HDR images. 

I think I have a few free photography Ebooks kicking around....

Wooooooah, just logged into flickr, last photo uploaded December 2006.

Edited by robbie

Testing....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/codofjoy/4001108/in/photostream

Is there a way to share images in Flikr ?

I mean as in post them here.....

Your best bet would be to copy the direct image location with tags.

6152342278_9fc77878a3_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wkphotography/6152342278/in/pool-1453033@N20

Edited by tbnl

Check out my flickr if you wish to see some of my work.

http://www.flickr.com/wkphotography

@@David is also a photo buff.

Would any of you be interested in holding photo contests? We could have themes and award LC cash as a prize.

I checked your work, good stuff. Best of luck in your attempt at making it a career.

I am. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dm76/

My flickr photostream

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1453033@N20/ - leafs forum group. needs more members. 

Really enjoyed your work as well. Some real talent here.

I checked your work, good stuff. Best of luck in your attempt at making it a career.

Really enjoyed your work as well. Some real talent here.

Thanks, I really like your use of focus for the chainlink and stone photos.

Can't wait to see more of what you get.

Hit some outdoor rock today for the first of the season. Can't wait till the weather warms up proper.

And holy shit, flickr slideshow integration? Mother fucking ballin' with style.

Much love to whoever set that up. :wub:

Hit some outdoor rock today for the first of the season. Can't wait till the weather warms up proper.

Much love to whoever set that up. :wub:

In one of those picks, I can clearly see the Fonz rock climbing. Jeans and a leather jacket. The ultimate in look cool climbing apparel. 

And yes the slide show integration is wicked awesome.

In one of those picks, I can clearly see the Fonz rock climbing. Jeans and a leather jacket. The ultimate in look cool climbing apparel. 

And yes the slide show integration is wicked awesome.

Yeah, my buddy Josh. It was chilly out, so everyone had their jackets on. I was cold 'cuz I was rocking the ripped jeans.

"Alright Fonzie, scend that route! Aye!"

What lens did you use for those shots? Nice work btw.

I used a pair.

The standard Nikon 18-55mm DX VR 3.5-5.6 for the really wide shots, and then the Nikon 55-200mm 4-5.6VR for the close ups.

If you click on the photos and use the open in new window option, it'll take you directly to my flickr, and I have the exif info listed on the right side, so you can see what length of lens, aperture, shutter, everything.

And my kit includes:

Nikon D7000

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Nikon 18-55mm vr

Nikon 55-200mm vr

Nikon FE

Nikon Series E 28mm

Nikon Series E 50mm

Nikon Series E 75-105mm

Nikon CoolPix L5 point and shoot

Nikon SB-700

Soligor MK-10A flash unit

remote trigger

2 portable tripods

KatzEye focus screen, making manual focus (something I have to do with my Series E lenses) a lot easier, just like my old school camera.

And a bunch of other misc. crap inside a camera messenger bag I got for $70 several years ago.

I honestly don't want to think of the money I've spent on gear over the years..... or the money I will spend in the next few... though it'll be worth it...

I've also got a dpreview.com account too, so feel free to bug me there, or better yet, vote for my photos in the challenges!

Edited by tbnl

What do you think of your sigma lens? My boyfriend has the sigma 70-300 coming (limited budget) to upgrade from his Canon kit lens and he's looking forward to it, but was a bit concerned with the mixed reviews.

I just got the Canon 70-300mm IS, enjoying it so far but I need to adjust to the focus system and it's size. Huge change from my 18-55.

Which lens do you use as a walkaround lens?

What do you think of your sigma lens? My boyfriend has the sigma 70-300 coming (limited budget) to upgrade from his Canon kit lens and he's looking forward to it, but was a bit concerned with the mixed reviews.

I just got the Canon 70-300mm IS, enjoying it so far but I need to adjust to the focus system and it's size. Huge change from my 18-55.

Which lens do you use as a walkaround lens?

I've only used the sig 10-20 a few times, but it has been solid. Being a super wide, it does distort a lot at angles and really wide open, but I like it for the most part. Good sharpness, and the autofocus is pretty fast. The name brands like Canon and Nikon do produce quality products, but third parties can be just as good when it comes to Sigma and Tamron when it comes to cheaper lenses, or going with the crazy expensive good ones like Zeiss.

A buddy of mine just borrowed the lens the other day to get some wide shots of the new climbing gym they're building in London, and he loved using it. When I was researching it, the 10-20 had mixed reviews too because some people had issues with the autofocus and everything, but for the price I got it used off a guy ($325 instead of like 500 :P), worth the risk and it's worked well. I plan on using it this Sunday when I'm outdoors climbing.

As for walk around, I typically use my 18-55. It pretty much works for every situation I need. Indoor, outdoor, action, portrait, landscape, has been mostly with the 18-55.

As I'm sure you've already seen, I spend most of my time shooting at the climbing gym, it's great for wide shots and decent close ups.

But when I need to get good close shots, like when people are top roping or are climbing far up, I've gone with the 55-200. My most recent shoot as you've seen above is with mostly that near the end.

Low light though, I've gone to my manual lenses, the 50 1.8 and the 28 2.8, because the 18-55 is at widest, 3.5. So that extra few stops is crucial, as well as bumping up the ISO anywhere from 400-1000. I'm used to shooting manual focus a lot, and my d7000 does meter with old lenses (one of the many reasons I bought this body) and as I said before, the focus screen I got really helps too.

But of course, with APC sensors, you must multiply the lens by the crop factor to get the 35mm equivalent.

So I would definitely recommend holding onto your 18-55 kit, because that will be your go to lens for the most part. Mine's pretty beat up, and I was crazy lucky that I was able to fix it myself (long horror story), but if I needed, I'd buy that one all over again.

Another thing I find with focus systems is the over abundance of points. My d7000 has 39 point AF. I use a single point. I believe with your T3 has 9. In either case, I find using a single point is much faster, easier and more reliable in my experience. Rather than letting the camera look for focus (whether 9,15, 39, etc), which usually takes time and will sometime stall out or even take out of focus pics, i just focus with the one point, usually dead center, on my subject, then recompose the shot. So it may be something you may want to try if you're having autofocus issues... or go to manual like I need to do sometimes too.

So yeah, I hope this giant essay of a post answers your questions and more. As you can tell, I sorta know a thing or two, having spent a number of years shooting.

If you need me to shut up and say it in less terms, I'll try harder.

No, that was great. Thanks.

I use manual focus quite a bit. I like having that control. It's actually been my habit since the first day I got the T3, lol. Obviously I will use auto in some situations, but for the most part I prefer manual mode, manual focus.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it more than you could know. One more question, do you think a course or two is worth it? Henry's has a decent lineup of subject based classes I'm interested in but I've spent time reading and watching videos, and I'm picking up quite a bit. I don't want to waste the money if it's going to be a waste.

No, that was great. Thanks.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it more than you could know. One more question, do you think a course or two is worth it? Henry's has a decent lineup of subject based classes I'm interested in but I've spent time reading and watching videos, and I'm picking up quite a bit. I don't want to waste the money if it's going to be a waste.

Are you looking from a professional side or a hobby?

Because personally, if you were looking to become a wedding photographer or something like that, then perhaps it would be worth the investment if they had a specific class that dealt with what you are looking to get into. And it's about the networking too. It's talking and connecting with others of similar fields and interests... but even then... I dunno.

But from the hobby aspect, I wouldn't. For something that you might do every weekend or every other weekend, you could save that money from lessons and put it towards gas money to get out and really try something different.

If you want to spend the weekend at Henry's, that's your choice. What they provide is information instantly accessible with people who could answer any questions you may have.

But as you've said, you could also just keep reading, watching videos, asking on forums and flickr, and learn a lot that way too. But the hard part is, the information tends to be a little harder to find, and you'll have to spend your time trying to figure it all out, rather than have it laid out for you.

I took intro and advanced photo courses in uni, and as much information they provided me with a solid 4 month curriculum as part of my Vis Arts degree, I still had to learn a lot of things on my own. I've had to experiment with different settings and different styles. I've had to integrate the different things I learned from painting, sculpture, drawing and digital media.

Ultimately, you could pay and sit in every Henry's class, but until you apply it and get your own experience in it and can recall back in your head "Oh yeah, the last time I shot this, I dialed this in and it worked out great, so I'll do it again and tweak it a little.", though classes are just info sessions.

So personally, I'd advise you to wait on the classes, and just try to find out what it is you really want in photography.

Nice work.

Yeah, for now  at least, it's just a hobby. I don't see it becoming a career, although that would be cool. I actually just got into it because I have an anxiety disorder (agoraphobia) and it's an excellent way for me to get out of my house and focus on something while doing so, to avoid panic attacks. I'm artistic in nature (do a lot of painting as well) so it was worth it to me.

I had no idea I would enjoy it this much, or spend this much time learning and researching, trying to improve, but it's been fun.

I will hold off on the classes. I've been able to find good info on my own so I'll keep going that route until I hit a wall.

And btw, thanks for the tip re: single point AF. It's working well for me.

One more question. Sorry, I know I said this before lol but I keep thinking about more stuff. I'm really interested in macro, but obviously very new so don't want to spend a lot of money. Have you ever tried macro filters? How is the quality? I know they obviously wouldn't compare to a true macro lens, and if I have to I'll buy a true macro lens but given that I'm just playing around I'd like to save money.

I also want the 50mm 1.8. I am gonna go broke lol.

Nice work.

Yeah, for now  at least, it's just a hobby. I don't see it becoming a career, although that would be cool. I actually just got into it because I have an anxiety disorder (agoraphobia) and it's an excellent way for me to get out of my house and focus on something while doing so, to avoid panic attacks. I'm artistic in nature (do a lot of painting as well) so it was worth it to me.

I had no idea I would enjoy it this much, or spend this much time learning and researching, trying to improve, but it's been fun.

I will hold off on the classes. I've been able to find good info on my own so I'll keep going that route until I hit a wall.

And btw, thanks for the tip re: single point AF. It's working well for me.

One more question. Sorry, I know I said this before lol but I keep thinking about more stuff. I'm really interested in macro, but obviously very new so don't want to spend a lot of money. Have you ever tried macro filters? How is the quality? I know they obviously wouldn't compare to a true macro lens, and if I have to I'll buy a true macro lens but given that I'm just playing around I'd like to save money.

I also want the 50mm 1.8. I am gonna go broke lol.

Ask as many questions as you want. Glad to see someone has the shutterbug here too besides me.

And no, I haven't done any macro work. But I have done a bit of reading on it, and you have a few options.

1. Buying the macro lens. Seeing as you've invested a lot so far, this may be an option down the road, but not now.

2. The filters. You can find these in sets, and are typically moderately priced, so this is probably a better option for you.

3. Extension tubes. They mount between your body and your lens, and allows for a close focusing point and magnification.

4. Reverse mount. Takes your lens and uses it backwards, so you'll screw mount where your filter is onto the body and that will magnify your subject.

So those are your options for macro. Amazon and Ebay are decent places to look for filters, tubes and r-mounts. I also recommend checking out the used section of your local camera store.

And another buying tip, I find Vistek often has better deals than Henry's and especially Black's. So definitely shop around.

And congrats on the 50mm purchase. The 50mm 1.8 I have is an old manual lens, but I love using it, along with my 28mm 2.8 manual. There's just something about the feel of the aperture ring compared to gelded lenses. And these old things are made with mostly metal too. Imagine that! The bayonet mount is metal, not plastic!

When I have the guts to buy a 35mm prime, I'm getting one of the D lenses, so I can use the 35 on my film camera too.

Happy shooting!