Sypher_04

The Religion Thread

If there is no God how do you explain something as amazing as bendy straws?

Ya know other than http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendy_Straw

Simple, straws evolved from plain straight ones to bendy straws because of the inherent improvement that a corrugated neck provides, allowing for easier sippage, as well as reducing the percentile possibilites of accidental eye gouges.

All straws began straight, but as they were used, they became bent, and this new attibute was more desired, and thus branched off into it's own species, similar to its ancestor, but distinctly different.

Straws further differenitated themselves with the emergence of bubble tea and other beverages, requiring different sizes and widths of straws.

And thus, disproving God.

"If" there is a god, you certainly won't find him/her through any of the major (or even minor) religions of the world.  I actually tried about 5 times to try and explain this but I finally gave up and came to my senses.  If you're illogical enough to fall for religion, then you're there's really no point in telling you how illogical you're being -- an illogical person doesn't possess the logic to realize how illogical they are.  Vicious circle.  Step outside the bubble for a few minutes and you might see what I mean.

I also I think just as illogical to blindly deny the existence of God (or a

God) as it is to blindly accept it. I'm not accusing anyone here of that, but I

think a lot of people hear someone say "X Y and Z in this religious text

are wrong, and look at the bad things in the world, there can’t be a God!"

then just go "Hmm, good point" and then just go with that for the

rest of their lives.

For a belief to truly be your own, whether its pro or anti religion, you

have to thoroughly analyze both sides of the argument, then you can draw a

conclusion as to what you actually believe. I don’t think the majority of

people on this planet do that.

I also I think just as illogical to blindly deny the existence of God (or a

God) as it is to blindly accept it. I'm not accusing anyone here of that, but I

think a lot of people hear someone say "X Y and Z in this religious text

are wrong, and look at the bad things in the world, there can’t be a God!"

then just go "Hmm, good point" and then just go with that for the

rest of their lives.

For a belief to truly be your own, whether its pro or anti religion, you

have to thoroughly analyze both sides of the argument, then you can draw a

conclusion as to what you actually believe. I don’t think the majority of

people on this planet do that.

And this is why I consider myself agnostic rather than an atheist.

And this is why I consider myself agnostic rather than an atheist.

That's the funny thing about those who are aggressively blind faithful.

They consider any criticism against their beliefs as an uneducated attack based merely on hate and ignorance. All who do not heed religion are atheists, which of course is silly. Those who criticize or do not believe must not have picked up a Bible, Koran or never gave God a passing thought.

Atheism is the belief that there is no god.

As you and Kez said, one could find their own faith after exploring all the others, and believe that there are answers and forces at work behind the scenes without having to adhere to the major religions.

That is what agnosticism is, coming to the understanding that ultimately, the human mind and the work of man could never truly explain all that is, has and will forever shalt be, but there is something beyond the answers we think we've found or could ever find.

If the world did embrace agnosticism as it has the other religions, I think we'd all be better for it.

That's the funny thing about those who are aggressively blind faithful.

They consider any criticism against their beliefs as an uneducated attack based merely on hate and ignorance. All who do not heed religion are atheists, which of course is silly. Those who criticize or do not believe must not have picked up a Bible, Koran or never gave God a passing thought.

Atheism is the belief that there is no god.

As you and Kez said, one could find their own faith after exploring all the others, and believe that there are answers and forces at work behind the scenes without having to adhere to the major religions.

That is what agnosticism is, coming to the understanding that ultimately, the human mind and the work of man could never truly explain all that is, has and will forever shalt be, but there is something beyond the answers we think we've found or could ever find.

If the world did embrace agnosticism as it has the other religions, I think we'd all be better for it.

119 posts (as of now) of pure drivel.  But hey, "look what I bought"!  :P

119 posts (as of now) of pure drivel.  But hey, "look what I bought"!  :P

As one who provided absolutely nothing of merit in our dearly departed previous forum of otherwise ostensibly philosophical and paradigm shifting thoughts and writings, why bother starting now?

Certainly, I am not capable of complex yet poetic writings of deep thought.

Oh well, back to jocularity about flatulence and vulgarity.

Personally I think that those who don't believe in God, live in their own particular version of Hell here on this earth.

And those that really believe...........ROCK,

Pure nonsense. 

Ever since I gave up the idea of god being a man with a beard who sits in the sky and blushes at the thought of somebody spanking their monkey, I've never felt better; relieved, to be exact.  There's probably some sort of god, but it's not the man-made, made up version that's being making the rounds the last 5,000 years or so.  I have no idea what "god" is, nor do I feel any compelling reason to care.

Pure nonsense. 

Ever since I gave up the idea of god being a man with a beard who sits in the sky and blushes at the thought of somebody spanking their monkey, I've never felt better; relieved, to be exact.  There's probably some sort of god, but it's not the man-made, made up version that's being making the rounds the last 5,000 years or so.  I have no idea what "god" is, nor do I feel any compelling reason to care.

I've never really thought of God in that way. God, in my own personal opinion, is not a singular entity, but rather a sort of energy which flows through everything living.

Science obviously can't prove the existence of a God at this point, but they can't fully disprove it either.

Pure nonsense. 

Sounds like hell koolkat

Relieved is not believing. Nirvana is believing.